City of Vancouver Design Contest

These look great, but I feel are impractical for the bike user. For one thing it would not support 2 bikes in a separated manner. I dont like my bike interfering or being interfered with another persons bike. Additionally depending how you lock your bike, (I for one use a U-lock around front wheel+frame) one may find it difficult to lock up and/or keep the bike from falling over.

Therefore as part of the design process various use cases need to be considered and various feedback from cyclists would benefit the design.

-Bob

Thanks for the feedback Bob! The idea with my design is that you’d have one bike leaning on each side of the rack like this:

Do you feel this design is less practical than the Heart design above or would you have the same complaints for that one?

I think any flat design is likely to have that problem. The interference I find is with handlebars jutting across into the other bicycle area; but that’s my experience.

1 Like

I am in Utah right now, and saw a bike rack with some strong Canadian vibes that I thought I would share.

5 Likes

i can’t believe that’s not Canada!

1 Like

Utah, twinned with Canada.

1 Like

Sean, my thoughts are a design whereby the tubes are shaped in such a way as to provide two landing spots that are also mostly non-interfering, kind of. Ive had an idea in my head for a while.

Bring them home! Clearly they are in the wrong place. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@seanpo, the Red Heart Bike Rack is a winner from aesthetics, manufacturing and cost!

It could be grapevine leaves, you know, Adam, Eve and all that… :smiley:

1 Like

so i procrastinated until the last day and made something.
this particular render didn’t finish on time. so i submitted a pretty sub-par presentation
but now i go finish my actual growler :beers:

6 Likes

450 entries received.

Apparently you can vote for your fav from the short list at City Hall. Fri Jan 15th and Sat Jun 16 12pm-8pm

Check out Bike Rack Short List Exhibition for more info

3 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/ZPAfJhD

1 Like

Dang! I’m not one of the shortlisted ones - so it goes

2 Likes

I did look for yours, I found it on the wall though. Sorry :frowning:

rain, leaf, mountain and whale. i am seeing a strong theme emerging.
thanks for posting these, @TomKeddie

I bet there are some local breweries that might be interested in this…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.