City of Vancouver Design Contest

City of Vancouver has a design contest around bike racks.

If you live, work, or study in Vancouver, you’re invited to enter our bike rack design contest. We’re looking for designs that:

• Are fun and functional, and hold two bikes
  • Can be fabricated and installed by the City in a cost-effective way
  • Reflect Vancouver in a creative and original way

http://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/bike-rack-design-contest.aspx

4 Likes

I like the idea of custom creative bike racks!

Toronto Bloordale one of a kind bike racks

I think this contest could be made better by having site specific racks that acknowledge the history of the specific location where they are installed as opposed to a number of generic designs installed all over the city.

This is what Cycle Savers was attempting to do with the City of Vancouver.

2 Likes

we should find some way to revive this, but in bike rack form…

4 Likes

Also, I love this contest, I don’t have any ideas yet but I’m certainly tempted.

2 Likes

This is great, I think I’m going to submit a design :slight_smile: @chadleaman would Fusion360’s Drawing output be a good format to submit it? And can I post pictures here after my submission?

1 Like

Not my contest, just the “signal booster”. :grinning:

From their website though, looks like what they are wanting is:

WHAT WE WILL NEED
When completing the entry form, you will be asked for the following information:
• The name of your design
• The idea behind your design
• A single horizontal 8.5” x 11” page with illustration(s) of your design. JPEG or PDF formats only.
You may submit one file per design. The file can include one or more illustrations on a single sheet. It should not include personal information such as your name or contact information.
• You may submit up to two designs in total. Please complete one entry form for each design.

Contest Brochure
Online Entry Form

… and I say, yah, post pictures here!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like making a nice rendering might go far on this, more than just technical drawings. But F360 can help there too!

2 Likes

Well clearly it’s time for the butt-shaped bike racks where you park your bike between the cheeks.

4 Likes

I made a whale tail design, what’s everyone think?

7 Likes

Will that be a bicycle rack?

@SeanPo I do like the form.

From a manufacturing point of view it i think it might be a tough sell. That’s a lot of custom bending on square tube which is gonna be hard to do.

From a security perspective I would say that those fins provide excellent leverage for a long bar to rip the rack out from the concrete.

Mark

1 Like

The manufacturing issues is a good point, it very well may count against me. As for the security, I figured if the heart bike racks were okay, this wasn’t too far from it.

3 Likes

Neat design. Reading up on their rules:

Good call on labeling the inside distance as more than 9"

It’s not immediately clear that your design follows the “caneability” guideline

Might want to redesign using 1.5" - 2" pipe. It doesn’t say that’s required, but all of the examples they show use it

4 Likes

also use round tubing, this will make bending easier.

contact benco fabricators

They do some manufacturing art contracts for the city.

They might be able to give some advice

I don’t think my first design quite met the caneability requirement. I finally got around to redesigning with 1.5’’ round tubing and made it fully compliant. Seem better to you all?

whale%20revised%20dimensions

2 Likes

Can you make the mounting plates look like ripples on the water, or something interesting with them?

1 Like

That’s a neat idea! It’d definitely be less cost effective, but probably better to include fancier features for the contest. They can cut corners if they choose to :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, not sure if there is a way to put “options” in your design sheet, but you could have the cheaper options enumerated

I found ripples were kind of tough to do in 2D, and the mounting hole walls were getting quite thin:

Also it looks kind of like a face instead of ripples to me?

I’m thinking maybe just a wave pattern now:

across the street there should be the other half of the whale :slight_smile:

4 Likes