Celebration of Science Event at Britannia Community Centre

Hey, VHSers
Celebration of Science event will take place on Saturday January 25 at Britannia Community Centre, Gym D. The event runs from 10:00 to 4:00 with setup starting at 9:00. Free Lunch will be served to volunteers.
We will be fielding our usual learn to solder booth. Given the proximity of the event, it will a good venue to recruit new members for VHS.
I am going to be organizing the booth, let me know if you are free and are interested in helping out with set-up, tear-down or teaching to solder.

7 Likes

Hey signed up to help on the Monday before event, assuming that is to help kit / sort? Doing the LightBOX SMD that night too, so can stay late or arrive early. Sorry in US on Thurs and Friday but can likely help on Sat just need permission slip / reality check from Mrs.

Thanks Mimi!

2 Likes

Just bumping this. If anyone can help at this event please do. Mimi’s events have brought in new members and there will I’m sure be a lot of local folks at this one. It’s a great opportunity to help VHS.

Thanks for signing up to help. Any help at all is appreciated.
I plan on getting the kits sorted on Monday night.

1 Like

Hazel and I are coming for the afternoon shift and the teardown. So that is 2 more.

2 Likes

I’ll be there Saturday, whenever I’m needed.

1 Like

I’m in tomorrow night so thought I’d check on the irons/re-tin a few tips make sure none are on fire… unless someone has already done that? :slight_smile:

If you can do that, that would be great

Thanks!!!

X_x

1 Like

Sounds like a plan - how many stations do you need?

let’s just prep 4 of them.
I think we won’t have a lot of space.

1 Like

Sounds good. I think the Hakko clones are in the best shape.

Alrighty - 5 tasty irons are ready to go.

Just wanted to say thanks @xquared for making this event happen and for organizing volunteers. You are super awesome and these events have brought in lots of new visitors to VHS. Thank you.

Edit: Also thanks all your volunteers - @lantana, @amanda, @yeungx (and Hazel), @chadleaman for putting all those kits together on Monday, and others who are helping out.

2 Likes

What time should we meet at VHS to load up, and then setup?

Edit: From website

East Van Science and Maker Jamboree

Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am - Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm

I say we meet at VHS 8 - 8:30, depending how ready we are. Get’s us there for 9 ish, which gives us a good time to set up especially if we have to run our own power from a weird spot in the gym.

2 Likes

The irons are sitting there ready to go with two rolls of solder sitting on top but I didn’t also include flux, desolder pump, braid etc. Those shouldn’t be super necessary but one of each would be nice to have. Also not sure where the leds are - I think @xquared has a stash of big ones for this.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who helped making today’s event run smoothly!
Please leave any feedback you have in this thread.

2 Likes

Great to see so many people turn out to support the booth! Is there a link to the oacking checklist so we can add some things while brain’s are fresh? Deeply appreciate you once again leading the charge @xquared!

3 Likes

I used the list in the Maker Faire trello as a suggestion. I probably should have followed it closer

1 Like

Not about the event - but the equipment - I’ve realized our soldering iron collection is pretty janky at the moment. Lots of loose things on stations, especially old wellers and a few clones. Will try and collect some proceeds from soldering workshops to buy a few replacement parts. Might need a few new iron handles and other stuff.

Ah, can’t access that Trello card. If it is part of a Board that is locked down, could we put it into a publicly access Google Sheet (or just add me, we use Trello at work). Not a rush, have a great trip Mimi!

2 Likes

From Wes, the organizer.

I just wanted to thank the Vancouver Hack Space for being part of the Science and Maker Jamboree - it was a great event with over 400 visitors coming through the day.

We also had a video posted by one of the visitors, Adam Abrams which can be found here:

https://youtu.be/9R-17JwWkRA

I aim to run the event again next year and hopefully your group can join us again.

2 Likes