CANCELLED $10, VHS Woodshop Safety Orientation - Friday March 20th, 7 - 9 pm

Work more safely in the woodshop and feel more confident with tool use! Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from Steve Fairbairn - longtime woodworking instructor and member of the Vancouver Woodworkers Guild and the Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guild. VHS members only.

Limited spots available so sign up now!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/vhs-woodshop-safety-orientation-tickets-98069856581

6 Likes

Just bumping this workshop. Seven spots left!

Should also add…as is the tradition around VHS, if you’d like to attend this workshop but can’t due to financial hardship please pm me and we’ll work something out. Thanks!

This is next friday (March 20th). Still spots available.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/vhs-woodshop-safety-orientation-tickets-98069856581

1 Like

Im excited for this. My wood shop teacher in grade 8 was missing more fingers than he had, which put the fear into me. Would love to have a better literacy level and have signed up. There is an offchance I wont be able to make it as I am helping a sick family memeber out of town, but optimistic I will be back for this by then.

3 Likes

Lol, I had a similiar experience. My grade 8 woodshop teacher was rather insane. He made me terrified of routers (which looking back was probably a good thing lol). No worries - I hope we see you and also that your family member is doing okay.

1 Like

Did you know tablesaw kickback can break your ribs or worse? And now - some beautiful slow-mo video of kickback.

Learn how to not get skewered at vhs. :slight_smile: Come to the safety workshop. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/vhs-woodshop-safety-orientation-tickets-98069856581

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this! I definitely want to learn more about the Woodshop and power tools safety. I want to build stuff!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry everyone. I have decided to cancel this event due to the coronavirus. Don’t worry, I will reschedule it at a later date! I am in the process of issuing full refunds to everyone.

Cheers
Janet

Edit: And just finished refunding everyone’s tickets in full. It can take up to 7 days to appear in your account.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, kickback is not a specific topic of discussion in my safety presentation given the broad range of topics and time available. Once the COVID-19 issue is behind us, I’m happy to run another of my 3-hour tablesaw training workshops. I can’t remember the last time I ran one but I’m pretty sure it was at Cook St.

Tablesaw kickback accounts for far more tablesaw injuries than actual contact with a spinning blade and can, in fact, cause one to contact the spinning blade. In my tablesaw class I spend quite a bit of time explaining the different types of kickback, how and why they occur and how to prevent them from occurring to you.

3 Likes

Thanks Steve that would be excellent. I took your tablesaw training at Cook and it was great.

1 Like

Your tablesaw training was definitely excellent, and much appreciated!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.