Can anyone help with printing a bag carrier, 3 key turners, and a bottle opener?

We’ve had a request from Makers Making Change to print the following for a grade 12 student in Prince Rupert. Would anyone be able to help out with part or all of this request?

The requestor likes bright pink and purple colours or white if at all possible. I have also found a donor of free shipping so if we can find some suitable filament at the space, this project will be free for the recipient which is fantastic.

The request is for:

3 key turners (ABS, white probably best for these)
1 bag carrier (ABS, high-strength PLA, or PETG)
1 bottle opener (ABS)

Here’s how our work will help her now and down the road when she heads off to university/college.
https://forum.makersmakingchange.com/t/request-for-bag-carrier-for-arthritis-prince-rupert-bc-canada/2227/3?u=janet

2 Likes

Just bumping this.

Hi Janet,

I found a spool of white ABS at home. My printer isn’t ideal for larger items like this in ABS, but I’m giving it a try.

2 Likes

Amazing! Thank you so much Stefan! Looks like it’s printing really well on your setup. That’s an ultimaker you’ve got there right?

Edit: also what settings do you use? I plan on trying to print some of the larger items this week with ABS and I’ve never printed it before.

1 Like

Yes, it’s an Ultimaker2 with some modifications.

Settings:

• 70% infill
  • 0.2mm Layers
  • 260C nozzle
  • 90C bed
  • Fan off

The first attempt at the key turner failed. It lifted of the platform, right after taking the picture. Since my printer doesn’t have a heated enclosure, platform adhesion due to shrinkage as the material cools down is the main problem I tend to run into with ABS.

The second try worked out, so we got the first key turner. During the fan off did the trick.

We’ll see how the rest goes. I keep you posted. I’m pretty sure these would be strong enough in PLA, but if we can make it work with ABS, all the better.

1 Like

Awesome thanks so much. I just picked up a roll of purple so I’ll give the bottle opener a try this week. It’s been my goal to try abs for a while so it’s good learning for me. I’m going to give it a go in the VHS printer in the enclosure.

1 Like

I hope it works! I only got white here. Would be nice to have some variation.

1 Like

The key turners should be okay in PLA, but the bag carrier with the stress is a bit better in ABS – or a higher infill on PLA.

3 Likes

I have purple abs! I must defeat this material (as I’d ultimately like to print some stuff that will survive my cats). Good to know tho if things go south we can pla some stuff.

Edit: we also just got two rolls of pla donated as well (red and black)…thanks MMC! So if any PLA is needed that’s an option. At home here I have industrial yellow, black, and tough gray pla. I haven’t quite mastered the tough gray yet…it tends to print chunky.

The three key turners are printed. I also managed to get the bag carrier printed. All in white ABS. That bag carrier was a close call, it had almost completely separated from the build platform. I’ll try the bottle opener tomorrow.

The key turners took about an hour each, good choice to gain some experience with ABS. The bag carrier was a 10 hour print though (40% infill takes time).

6 Likes

Stefan these are totally amazing! Thank you so much! How much filament did you end up using?

The bag carrier is 160g, the key turners 15g each. Final weight, there would be a 1-2 grams extra for the brim.

1 Like

Thanks so much for using up your ABS filament for this project and babysitting this huge print job!!! How can we repay you? We have several rolls of PLA at the space that just arrived from MMC (a nice orange red and a black) if you fancy printing something for yourself with them? I am also happy to shoot you some cash to cover the cost of filament!

(note: usually the requestor covers filament cost and shipping, but in this case I’d planned to use spare space filament and I have a shipping donor.)

1 Like

No need. I probably had this spool sitting around unused for a year or two. Glad I finally found a use for it, and what a great use it is!

3 Likes

That is just completely amazing - thank you so very much for donating that!! It really is a great purpose! I know the17-year old requestor will be thrilled to have these devices and is planning on using them during her last year of high school and at university/college.

I’d also love to use that photo in a social media post if that’s okay? I’ll pm you about that.

1 Like

I hope these things will work well for them. Does MMC has some way to get feedback for improvements? I have my doubts about the spacing of those finger grooves in the bag carrier.

Feel free to use the picture (sorry for the subpar quality).

1 Like

I can definitely ask her to let us know how the devices are working for her. I’m sure @chadleaman will also respond about the MMC development process and the best way we could help out with design improvements.

Also photo is great!

2 Likes

I printed the bottle opener yesterday (also white ABS). We got the complete order together. Having some more colorful options would be great, of course :slight_smile:

Do you already know when you plan to be at VHS? I could drop them off, and if you have time, maybe you could give me a tour? I haven’t been there since the move.

2 Likes

Hey Stefan! Thank you so much - that is really wonderful. :smile:
Printing that whole order is a huge help. I’ll actually be at the space tonight if that works for you? I should be there from 6:30 to 10 doing some printing. Would love to give you a tour. I think you’ll find the place has spruced up a lot since the move-in.

I’ll also be in friday afternoon from 2 - 6pm.

1 Like

Also a little shout out to Mercury! Hiya! She’s been reading all our updates and likes the white ABS just fine!

2 Likes