Call for assistance: serger trainers needed

Hi all,

The space has a couple of sergers (overlock machines). They don’t officially require training, but some members have expressed a desire to be trained.

The sewing committee is looking for somebody who is experienced with sergers and willing to offer training on them. Or alternatively, somebody who is willing to learn to use the sergers and then train others on them.

(Myself and @Metal_Janet both have some minimal experience with sergers and are willing to assist people, but I’m not sure it would count as “training”).

2 Likes

I’d love to learn from someone, but regardless I’m hoping to head in in a couple weekends and see what I can learn hands on.

1 Like

The main pieces of advice I can give a fresh beginner are:

1. don’t need to re-thread the serger.

2. if you do need to re-threads the serger, follow the directions, in order. Losing one thread means you’ve lost all the threads. If you do one of the ones labeled 3 or 4 first, to get them out of the way because they’re easy, they will get in the way and make 1 or 2 impossible to thread.

3. to avoid needing to re- thread, hold the tail thread really firmly for the first inch or two of stitching. I like to tie an overhand knot in it just so that I know nothing will slip out.

4. to change thread colours without re-threading, trim the thread on the spool side, tie your replacement colour to the old thread with a reef knot, not a granny knot, and gently pull it through.

Others may add to this if they see fit.

5 Likes

If/when there is some serger training happening, I would love to join in and learn!!!

Hi everyone, I new here hence reviving an old topic.

I’d be happy to help with serger training if still needed. My experience is limited to an 18 hour industrial sewing course and owning a Juki MO-2516 5-thread industrial serger for a couple years.

So I’m not an expert, but I can troubleshoot some problems and show others how to use a serger in conjunction with the walking foot to make clothes etc.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you so much!

Happy to help :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be great if you could give me a little tour of the sewing area to see where things are and do a quick run on the machine.

Perhaps next week?

1 Like

I happen to have open hours scheduled on the 26th from 1:30 - 5:30pm but let me know if that’s not a good day for you.

1 Like