Bus Pirate 3.6 Build

That’s great thanks. Do you prefer cash or paypal?

Cash is probably easiest for me…
Small un-marked bills…

1 Like

Thanks Bob!

Will try to pay if I see you tonight.

As the Bus Pirate parts are surface mount they are really small and hard to identify. As I have to divy up the parts I lose the advantage of the original packaging for identification. So I have packaged the parts into 4 baggies:
1 - Resistors
2 - Capacitors & LEDs
3 - Connectors & Inductor
4 - ICs
You will need to refer to the BOM to figure out what bunch of parts is what. Each type of part in a given bag has a different quantity so it should be pretty easy to figure it out…

Unless you mix up the various bags… Or spill them on the floor…

Then you are on your own…

Is there a build night date set?

My build notes are at https://github.com/vhs/vhs-pcbs/blob/master/bus-pirate/SMD%20November%20Workshop%20Notes.pdf?raw=true

The jpg of the assembly photo isn’t there, will be on my computer, I’ll post it soon.

@packetbob I used to colour code all the parts, this is one of the reasons I stopped running workshops, it takes forever.

I do now have a strip cutting machine I made that will cut strip to selectable part counts. I want to add an inject cartridge to it to colour them. Unfortunately no-one has reverse engineered the colour cartridges and I just don’t have the time to continue with the scope hooked to the printer as I had planned…

@hectorh - We haven’t set a date as of yet. @Janet offered to help so it’s more a matter of findign a date that works.

@TomKeddie - Wish I’d thought about color coding. Will do this next time.

@packetbob I’ll be at the space tonight with cash for you. Thanks again.

I will open the space for a build night! I’ll get a doodle together shortly with a bunch of possible dates.

And…here are some options. Please add your name and availability.

Anyone else coming to Bus Pirate build night? Last call to add your availability before I choose a date to open the space. @wander are you in?

Sorry had to drop out, I think you have all you need.

No worries. Thanks Tom.

@Janet Thanks, choices recorded.

Must travel the week of Feb 26th, so can’t make it then.

Thanks @wander - no worries.

Alright - we are on for Monday, March 2nd for the build night. I’ll open the space form 7:30 pm to 10:30ish.

I will be there… I have finished my reflow oven and will test on a few boards (including my BP) later this week. If all goes well I’ll bring it along and anyone wanting to cook their board instead of hand soldering can try it…

1 Like

Thanks Bob! That’d be great since I’ve never done reflow.

@packetbob count me in for the oven test too

So um…

I am starting to put my Bus Pirate together and have discovered that I have a few incorrect parts:

IC3 - The BOM calls for a SSOP14 but the PCB actually needs what I think is a SO14
J1 - The USB connector spec’d on the BOM doesn’t fit the PCB correctly…

I’ll figure out what the correct parts are and get them in time for the build workshop…

@packetbob I have spares of both I am fairly sure, will look them out for you