Bullet shell casings? for costumes or?

Close to where I ride my mountain bike in the Interior is an un-official gun range in the bush.
Whenever I am in the area and no one is cracking off rounds I go in and clean up the shell casing they leave lying around.

Does anyone want some for costumes or art work?
I have the smaller .22 caliber, also a lot of silver 9mm lugar and a few of the bigger rifle ones.
None have any gunpowder or bullets - just the bare shell.

The squares in the picture are 1" so you can get an idea of their size

1 Like

TBQH I’d call the police if I knew of such a place.

1 Like

As someone who’s lived up north and gone hunting when I was a teenager, it’s a poor idea to close down stuff like that. If it out of the way and safety is understood (nothing downrange, nobody’s being an idiot, etc) it’s better to have the place than not. People will go and test their rifles before going out after game. Having a known place to do that where it’s not going to put anyone in danger is far better than the alternative.

That said, they should be cleaning up their cartridges after. Littering is still littering, moreso when it’s remote. Thanks for cleaning up the place.

3 Likes

Sure, I’m more concerned about the illegal firearms than the safety of the range.

Why are you assuming that they are illegal?

When I grew up we had a range set up backed by hillside. Before then I use
to shoot across some empty fields. Realized back then that was not such a
good ideal. My high school had a rifle club with a rifle range under the
cafeteria. And the air cadets had a range under the auditorium.

I doubt any of the rifles are illegial, but calling the cops is just going
to complicate someone’s life.

I can’t shoot due to the lose of my eye, but I think it is great if some
people want to get a hunting license and shot responsibly out doors.

1 Like

It is fairly remote and away from houses. Not close to the forestry road. They also shoot into a hillside.
There is very little littering - they do pick up their used casing as there wasn’t that many left there compared to the shots I heard fired while in the area.

The locals who live in the area did call the conservation officers recently, but that was when a person shot a deer out of season from the roadway across from the houses. The CO’s did come up and question the people involved.

Steve

1 Like

The handgun calibres probably didn’t come out of a long rifle.

The steering wheel from Fury Road.

https://goo.gl/images/U4yQvW

Looks like a .22LR to me. Totally legal.

The 9mm are most likely from a handgun. Not legal to shoot anywhere but at an official range, by somebody who has the possession and the carry (to and fro the range) permits. I’d stay away from there (“don’t bring a (legal) knife to a (illegal) gun fight”)…

But I miss plinking. It’s the smell. And the Zen of the following cleaning of the carbines. And the fact I usually did that with childhood friends and/or my brothers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.