Baby Butterscotch the security/welcome horse

Just so people who are easily startled are aware, VHS has a new greeter. Baby Butterscotch the security/welcome horse. Located in the upstairs front lobby.

*edit - now with video!

Be forewarned, she will whinny you a greeting when you come in, and she likes attention.

I will post a more detailed write up later on the wiki but in short. Take one of these: https://youtu.be/QZ9noMUTBOY?t=10

Skin it, cut it in half, paint it gold and mount it to a plaque and connect a microcontroller with a triforce of PIR sensors to it, add some neopixels and relays to trigger the capacitive touch sensors on the side of the horse and you have whatever the heck this is.

Its set up to stay awake for 25 seconds after the last detected motion and stay asleep for at least 20 seconds. This is adjustable, I will post the code to github at some point.

It has a microphone so when awake it will respond to music and high pitched voices (they knew their target market). Also the capacitive sensors on the head are functional so give it a pet on its copper stars and hearts on your way by.

If its driving you nuts, it can be unplugged, no harm in unplugging it at any time or plugging it back in. Runs on 6v and I labelled its power supply.

Thanks @Janet for the awesome present and @Metal_Janet for the help.

14 Likes

This is just more fabulous that I could have ever possibly imagined. I love it. Looking forward to shrieking at it in a high-pitched voice next time I’m at VHS. The gold is also very excellent.

3 Likes

HOLY CRAP!!! I come back to talk after about a month off and this is the first thing I see!!! I’m laughing my ass off!

Thank you so much for this!

3 Likes

This is full stop amazing

4 Likes

Amazing! @Zee_Kesler this is your Magic Trout on steroids!

4 Likes

So, i am aware of its presence, yet it still scared the shit out of me when I entered the space

7 Likes

Nobody expects the spanish adalusian.
*edit - wait, Adalusian Inquisition is better.

3 Likes