Anyone want to help build a literal tiny audience for the east van VODVILLE?

So @Omid had a fantastic idea, and suggested adding Statler and Waldorf figures to the balcony seats on the Vodville theatre. I love every bit of this idea, and thought why not go one further and fill up the whole theatre with an assortment of iconic movie characters?

Something that’s this much fun seems like it should be shared. So we’d like to invite the whole Hack Space community to play.

The theatre audience will be visible from above and behind when the movie is playing, but will also be visible from the front reflected in the screen when the house lights are up.

So if you have a favorite movie character and some 3d modeling skills (or even hand sculpting skills and know somebody with a 3-D scanner (hint: this last one is all of us)), do you want to add your personal touch to the East Van Vodville?

Here are the guidelines I am thinking of:

• Iconic film and television characters only (film is global, so the characters do not have to be recognizable to a western audience, but should be recognizable to an average person from its culture of origin.)
  • Horror movie characters are okay, but they need to be holding popcorn (you can’t murder the small children watching the show with a bag of popcorn don’cha know )
  • Tall characters at the back of the lower bowl.
  • No modification to the existing seats, instead boolean difference the seats from your characters arse.
  • The theatre scale is 0.018% of real life, or approximately 1:55 scale.

I’ve uploaded stls and step files for the seats here: Seatingfiles.zip - Google Drive
The balcony seats are wild (can be moved around) use the single seat for reference

If there appears to be strong interest, I can make up a seating chart so you can reserve your preferred seat.

6 Likes

Hmmm making a 3d model for generic audiences would work for the most part, like just round heads would be pretty simple just to fill out the seats if there’s no one taking them, and then could be individually changed to suit people/characters

Are the seats already 3d printed? or are they made of wood?

I made this lil person to sit in the seats, maybe a good start?

3 Likes

The seats are already 3D printed and installed in the Vodville.

I think there may be a wee misunderstanding about our goal here. It’s no so much about filling the seats as it is about making a treasure hunt for the viewers to spot characters that they know and love, and for VHSers to express their own taste and creativity by adding something that they love.

We’re OK with it taking months or years to fill up the theatre.

1 Like

Ahhh I see! Then perhaps this STL could be a good base for people to sculpt/paint on top of/add to, as it’s already to size of the seats, would just need to be added onto!

2 Likes