Anyone ever pull data off Android internal storage?

My ancient nexus i9250 phone finally died. It was on it’s 3rd charging board (a separate circuit from mobo). This nexus had a common problem of the charging port shorting out. I’ve tried replacing it but no joy this time. Occasionally I get a message about “device plugged into usb port needs more power than the port can supply” but nothing further. This doesn’t happen with other devices on the USB (plus I’ve tried i on multiple USBs), and the phone also does not charge from the wall charger.

I’m trying to get the data off, but not sure how to proceed, or how to power the phone if I can’t charge it. Am I looking at JTAG?

Anyone ever managed to save their data in such a situation. Ideally I’m trying to get my photos and contact list.

It’s been a trusty phone. Alas…

Yup! You can charge the battery by pulling it out and giving it some volts directly. Then just use the network to move files off in whatever method you choose.

1 Like

hell yeah - thanks Rob. I will google further on charging the battery outside the phone.

I did that for my S5 using a hackspace power supply to juice the battery.

1 Like

I guess you just have to keep an eye on over-juicing right? And by over-juicing…I mean…exploding. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Also I have a ton of data to get off. I’m wondering if I can just hook the phone up to a power supply through the battery pins.

I’d be careful with that. The phone talks to the battery through that 3rd pin and often won’t boot up without it (at least blackberry did this)
You also risk blowing up the phone with the wrong voltage and losing access to the data forever. If the battery still holds charge, I’d go with that.

Over wifi, set up a local place to dump data, use a file transfer client, (or just remote image it using command line tools). Shouldn’t take too long to get all data off

3 Likes

Thanks @Rob_MacKenzie - great advice. Going to try this.

Do you think I could use the 5v output on an arduino to do this? Not enough amps?

Hmm…maybe not the best idea. Power supply it is.

Lithium ion battery charging is dangerous, make sure not to over charge the battery (think Samsung S7 recall). I have a good lithium ion battery charger that you can borrow if you are going the charging route. Otherwise, if you are just going to provide power to the phone through the battery terminals, the voltage you need should be printed on the battery itself.

1 Like

Thanks @hectorh! I would love to borrow your charger. Do you fancy meeting up at VHS for a night for phone charging and also PCB flipping?

Sure thing, I’m busy today but the rest of the week I’m fairly flexible, what day works for you?

1 Like

PMing you!

If you have your settings right the photos and contact list are both backed up on google, but they might not be the default settings.

Go to http://photos.google.com/ and http://contacts.google.com/ – see what’s there :slight_smile:

Mwh ha ha ha ha- I don’t put any photos on google. Lesson learned.

Thanks @arrgh! Some of my contacts are in there so that helps. :smiley: