The Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guild is proud to be hosting an all-day demonstration by professional woodturner and airbrush artist Joe Fleming from San Diego this Saturday, Dec. 8th at the Sapperton Pensioners Hall in New Westminster which is about 2 blocks from the Sapperton Skytrain station. Cost is $35 at the door. You can see Joe’s website here.
The Airbrush Demystified
New and intermediate airbrushers will learn how to select and use an airbrush including:
- Equipment selection and maintenance: Types of brushes; Air sources; Accessories.
- Paint and dye selection.
- Basic painting skills needed for successful airbrush applications on wood: Different strokes; Masking; Freehand; Shading.
- The effects of wood selection and wood preparation on airbrush results. This includes sanding and bleaching.
- Transferring an image to your wooden project: Pre-printed friskit; Tracing paper; Cutting or burning the image; Painting the image with the airbrush; Painting sequences; Remasking
- Cleaning the airbrush: Disassembly; Cleaning; Reassembly
Airbrush Art - How to Successfully Transfer Images
Transfer image selection, use of friskit and other masking techniques, airbrush transfer images to wood projects
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Airbrushers will learn:
- How to select appropriate images such as clip art, flat art or photos for application to their wood projects.
- How to successfully transfer them to their project using an airbrush: Direct image application; Photo transfer using laser or inkjet printers; Freehand transfer/original art
- The demonstration will include the completion of a small transfer project using an image of an original piece of art.
Joe will also be conducting a 2-day class at the GVWG woodturning classroom at KMS Tools on Sunday, Dec 9 and Monday Dec. 10. There is one seat left for this course at a cost of $250 for the two days. Airbrushes and all materials are supplied.
I’ll be there for both the demo and the class. Hope to see some of you at the demo!