Aaron Swartz Day Hackathon

We got this email, we should figure out how we can help. I’ll edit to deanonymize the names if they’re OK with it.

Do we have anything planned in the space for Saturday, November 9th?

[I’m individual 1], a co-founder of Creative Commons, where I worked with Aaron Swartz on its technical specification, back in 2002, when he was 15 years old.

CC’d is [individual 2], who is helping me get the word out to folks about this year’s hackathon :slight_smile:

I’m writing you on behalf of the Aaron Swartz Day & International Hackathon, which takes place every year on what would have been Aaron’s birthday. I founded Aaron Swartz Day with Brewster Kahle, founder of the Internet Archive, shortly after Aaron’s death, in 2013.

Every year, we gather to celebrate Aaron, educate the world about his projects that are still ongoing, such as SecureDrop and the Open Library, and participate in an international hackathon where folks can contribute directly to these projects and others.

We were wondering if you would be interested in having a hackathon in your town, at your hackerspace. We can help you get speakers.

For more information about organizing one of our hackathons, see our “Hackathons 101” page here:

Virtual Hackathons 101 | Aaron Swartz Day and International Hackathon

One thing we are trying to do this year is to try to get as many hackathons as possible going in the weeks leading up to our November 9th event.

Let us know if you might be interested. We’re happy to answer any questions you may have - and don’t worry about taking up our time when you’re not sure if you have an event space yet. It’s a process :slight_smile:

ok! Thanks for considering having a hackathon in your town. :slight_smile:

Yours truly,

[individual 1] and [individual 2]

3 Likes

Bump! I’ve been pretty short on time lately, I could use a co-conspirator to help with the motivation activation energy on this. :rainbow:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.