A modest laser cutting job - Prototype product!

Hello everyone!

My brother-in-law has a problem that could be solved with a small prototype part. I’ve already designed it, it just needs some laser-cutting on any type of wood (not MDF) ideally 5mm or thicker. There is no engraving involved, it is purely a cut job with a few internal geometries.
For reference - here is the piece:

It is roughly 20cm x 20cm. I’m still waiting on final dimensions so this might change, but I expect no more change than +/- 7 cm. I can export this in whatever format you need, just let me know what you prefer (DXF and SVG are easiest, but let me know and I’ll see what I can do)

Is anyone free to take on a job of this size? Happy to pay in terms of cash/beer/karma/whatever else you might want - just ask! We are coming by the tour tonight, so happy to meet in person if you’d like.

Cheers,
Kent

Yeah, I’m not here tonight, but I’m glad you’re coming in for a tour, and I have some 6mm Baltic birch plywood available for purchase ($20 for a 30"x30" sheet, cash can go in the VHS donation box/locker in the lounge area). If you find someone who is willing to run this cut for you maybe they can keep the leftover material? A DXF file is the way to go for this (make sure the DXF base units are millimetres)

This looks like a reasonably quick cut. If you don’t find anyone by Thursday let me know and I can run the cut for you during the day for a 4-pack of these:

7 Likes

Hey John!

Thanks for your help. We’ve got final dimensions, so here is the DXF

I’m gonna be heading back to my neck of the woods tomorrow, so @Warren (brother-in-law mentioned above) will have to take over. He will get you your beer/goodies and deal with material. I’ll be available online if any design tweaks need to happen

2 Likes

Hello @JohnC !

When is a good time to visit you at VHS? I live nearby and my schedule is quite flexible. If possible, I’d like to get this done by early next week (latest).

I will make the donation for the plywood and bring 4-pack.

Cheers,

• Warren
1 Like

Hey Warren, I’ll be hosting the open hours tomorrow between 11am and 3pm. Feel free to drop by anytime then. Ring the doorbell when you arrive

1 Like

Running a bit late. I’ll be there around 12.

1 Like

I just finished cutting this out of 6mm Baltic birch plywood. I cut a 2nd one as the first one had a bit of a rough edge, but they turned out pretty well I think!

6 Likes

Nice!! Huge thanks to @JohnC for this one. They came out great looking

Looking forward to seeing it in the field!

4 Likes

Is no one else going to ask… what is it??

2 Likes

@Warren should field this one!

I’m going to use it to brace a stove pipe so it doesn’t move around in windy conditions. The wood will need to be weather-treated.

If the design works well, I am interested in fabricating more from some sort of metal or plastic that can withstand some heat, moisture and sun. Any ideas are appreciated!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.