A few Questions about membership

Hello All!

My name is Jordan, I am an electrician by trade and currently living downtown Vancouver. Like most people, I do not have the space or necessarily all the tools to tackle all the projects I would like to dirty my hands with. Which is what led me here.

I had a few questions that I was hoping could be cleared up. I would love to come down and take a look at the space and see if it would work out for what I would like try and do, a little metal work along with some wood working. Can I just show up whenever? or is Tuesday the best time? or both?

I was also reading under the membership page that says as a new member I will have access every Tuesday. Does that mean during other times of the week I am not able to work on things or just depending on if a key holding member is around? is it fairly common that on most evenings there will probably be someone around?

Does membership only take place at either the beginning or end of the month or will it commence right away and be billed according to when I signed up? Do you need pay pal or can I pay cash/credit some other way?

I am sure that I will have a few more questions but will leave it at that for now. Thank you very much for taking the time to read all this and hopefully for answering some of my questions!!

Thanks

3 Likes

Hey Jordan! Thanks for checking us out.

Tuesday evenings are the best time to check out the space. We prefer folks not use the shop tools until they sign up for membership, but someone will be happy to give you a tour and show off what we have.

Does that mean during other times of the week I am not able to work on things or just depending on if a key holding member is around? is it fairly common that on most evenings there will probably be someone around?

If a keyholder has opened the space, other members are welcome. We have a webpage for members to check if the space is open, and people will sometimes pre announce. Itā€™s fairly common for the space to be open most evenings and weekends, Tuesdayā€™s just the only day you can count on it.

Membership commences immediately on signup, and gets renewed based on that. We use PayPal to process payments, but just a credit card number is sufficient there - you donā€™t need an actual PayPal account. Cash or cheque are a lot of pain to process, so are discouraged.

Hope to see you around the space!

3 Likes

Thank you Jon,

that answered everything I was after. Much appreciated! Is there a certain time on Tuesdays that you guys are open for or would be better for me to come by and take a peek around? I am looking forward to a visit and hoping it works out.

Thanks again

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Check out the events calendar, itā€™s got that sort of info you are looking for.

Specifically, Tuesdays open at 7:30pm (though there are often people there earlier). Note the ā€œOpen Houseā€ event on each Tuesday. The calendar changes often, so if you want to subscribe to it, it is just a google calendar.

Once you are a member, you can also see if there are unplanned drop-in times at https://isvhsopen.com or in the slack room #isvhsopen (slack is available to all members via your member portal). Thereā€™s a lot of unplanned openings compared to scheduled nights, and coordinating on slack is often useful for that.

Once you get past the vetting process, you can apply to become a key holder and arrive at any time (and hopefully open the space for others that arenā€™t key holders yet).

1 Like

Thanks Mike,

Is there anyone that I should look for or literally poke my head in the door and say ā€œHi!ā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

At 7:30pm or later, literally poke your head in and say ā€œHi, Iā€™m new hereā€ :smiley:

The whole space is member-run, there are no ā€˜staffā€™. If you like the little slice of crazy (most of us would say Awesome) we hope that the Tuesday after your first open house you are the one someone is saying ā€œHi, Iā€™m new hereā€ to :).

(Just so you know what to expect)

Once you say your Hi, you should expect to sign our waiver, and then get a tour of the space. The person giving the tour will show you a bunch of the cool stuff we have for you to use, look at, dig through, etc, as well as all the safety equipment. With any luck, theyā€™ll also do a good job of trying to describe the sort of community that we are (inclusive, awesome to others, encouraging, and one that provides a safe space, etc).

I look forward to meeting you at some point.

Oh, and if you want to bring a project, thatā€™s great (though as mentioned, shop tools are members only). Or if you want to work on something you see could be better in the space, thatā€™s awesome as well!

Ask people what they are working on, most people are happy to share.

The magic words to make friends are, ā€œWhat are you working on?ā€

5 Likes

Awesome thanks a lot for all the helpful info, I am gonna do my best to swing on by tomorrow. I do have some stuff on the books but we will see.

Thanks again

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.