3d printer training?

If you wanted to build a 3d printer with a heated bed that was fairly decent…what would you be looking at cost-wise? (i.e. are we talking roughly 500bux or less?)

The genuine Prusa’s are printed with PETG as far as I know.
Both the VHS i3 and Gantry are able to print PETG. I would suggest a bed temp of 60c to 70c and fresh blue tape. Hot-end temp of 220.
It can be a bit of a pain getting the correct bed to nozzle setting and I would also slow down the first layer speed to 60% of print speed either by setting it in the slicer or rotating the knob on the controller

1 Like

if you want to have the fun of assembling a 3d printer. The prusa Mk3s kit is about 750. If you just want to get a cheap printer for under 500, the ender3 and prusa mini are both good machines.

Doing what Tim wants to do is a whole other cat wrapped in a riddle hidden in a rabbit hole. which of course could be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Thanks interesting and good to know! Yeah that rabbit hole looks intriguing but trying not to fall down it. I’m not at the point where I print enough to build a printer but I’m thinking in a year or two I will be.

This is an upgraded verision of the 3d printer i built. It is a kit so it is a dive into the deep end, but I survived it and so can you.

https://www.banggood.com/TEVO-Tornado-DIY-3D-Printer-Kit-300300400mm-Large-Printing-Size-1_75mm-0_4mm-Nozzle-p-1186106.htm

1 Like

I’m following tom’s live build. And its cost me 220$ thus far but I have almost everything.

2 Likes

That’s my frame laminated from 4 laser cut 8th inch plywood

2 Likes

My Instructable from building the VHS and my own Prisa i3 “rework”

2 Likes

Ooh thanks I will study

I would use t8 rods for the z axis vs the m5, faster and quieter. I have a nearly complete set of plastic parts printed in petg as well if you are interested

1 Like

Um yes pls
And thanks so much for the advice
I’ll take all the wisdom you got

1 Like

Also I will trade beer for parts for suuure

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.