Wood Working Room

Updates:

I cleaned out the bottom of the table saw and sprayed some white grease into all the screw drives for adjustments and it works much smoother now. Did this a few days ago and its still running smooth as I was worried sawdust might gum it up.

I was talking to Steve about the table saw back before he started his classes and we were talking about how the rail doesn’t automatically align true when you lock it. I found a quick way to do that is to measure from the top and bottom of the rail to the edge of the table. (Not the blade). The blade is true enough atm that I’m getting very smooth cuts. (No burns) That’s true from back to front not height.

I needed the router table but the plastic fence that came with it is total garbage. So I rigged up an adjustable wooden fence that works much much nicer. Also laser cut a new insert for the router bit.
I’m keeping some of the plastic fence around for now see if I can rig back up the dust guard and screw back in the back attachment so make clean up easier.

Some of the router bits are totally chewed up. I have my own set around home. If I can find. I’ll bring it in.

I cannibalized some of the other screws for making rails for the 2 drill presses. The small one works nicely but the large one needs more thought. Also some much longer 6mm bolts.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I noticed the table saw was running the blade up and down much more easily. I meant to post a thank-you, but I forgot! I put some grease in a few months back, but clearly you did a better job as its about 2x as smooth as it was after I did that.

+tons of karma for you; thank you! If you rig up a dust guard, please make it fit the 4" hose, since the new dust extractor can pull a lot of chips. I’ve bought some 4" hose clamps; they are currently with the small clamps on the shelves.

@wander used the plastic flange that came with the dust extractor for the downdraft table, but I’m pretty sure the downdraft table didn’t pan out well, even with the new dust extractor (just not enough suck). If he’s cool with it; you might be able to repurpose that flange and save yourself a bunch of work.

Thanks for your improvements!

Wood dust in 3D printer area.

I found a lot of wood dust in the 3D printer area. And wood dust is not good for computers.
Is there anything we can do to collect more of the wood dust.

We recently obtained a dust extractor, and I personally have been cleaning up a lot of our wood dust (yes, I love our extractor as a vacuum).

The dust extractor has been helping a lot as it much quicker than our vacuum, but we don’t have tool mounts for any of our dust generators. I bought a 4" to 2.5" port adaptor so we can hook up the extractor to more tools, but it doesn’t do so hot for the table saw. I’ve also picked up 4" hose clamps so we can build appropriate mounts and attachments. It might be useful to make an easy to attach pivotable arm to allow people to quickly position the inlet of the extractor at work tables.

The worst dust is sanding dust, so focusing on the belt sander would be good. Everyone I’ve trained on the thickness sander I’ve trained with dust extraction methods for it, but its a bit hard to handle, putting a hood with extraction built in would be good.

We have a problem, as someone who generates wood dust, I personally have been putting a decent amount of both thought and ‘doing’ to ease the problem. I understand you, @tdwebste, are an engineer. I would welcome constructive paths toward a solution if you have one. I believe the problem is identified.

Now that I know we have clamps for the 4" pipe I’ll try to see if I can’t build a hose to the table saw. I’ve always used the small master craft with the 2.5" hose I’ll try to connect that hose up see if it overcomes more of the dust.

Oh and the white grease I used is in a spray can in the chemical cabinet. Only thing that seemed to come close to the lithium grease recommended by someone. If the spray stops working I have some lithium grease at home

We already tried the 4" to 2.5" adaptor I bought to connect the dust extractor to the table saw through the shop vac hose but maybe the shop vac hose was too long for the pressure it generates.

What is the flow rate of the dust extractor.

It is quite possible that the 2.5" hose is too small.

I suspect it is, I don’t have the flow rate on-hand. This is another reason (among many) that I would like cabinet saw; most of them have 4" dust extraction ports.

A friend of mine is offering to donate a large shop vacuum that’s got at a bigger more powerful motor then the one we just got. With lots of spare 4" duck. Help reduce a lot of our dust problems.

He was going to drop it off this week but I’m busy so be next week.

2 Likes

Your friend is very, very nice. Please let him know that we are very grateful.

I’ll be down today at 2 to bring in the donated industrial shop vac. Not sure We’ll get finished installing it. I havn’t seen it yet so not sure where we’ll be able to put it.

Brought in the Vac but not sure of the best place to set it up.

This is the shop vac in parts. Its a setup that the donater (Ralph Heading) had designed for his work shop years ago. Yes its a hack job but that motor is a 3 hp 220 volt beast of a fan. The motor sits on top of the oil drum which is where all the large debris collects. The dust bag collects the dust on top (same way as the Delta.

The Drum has an access panel cut into the side to make it easier to clean out then having to remove the fan. Motors damn heavy.

There are currently extra 4" metal pipes stashed in the loading area that are able to be attached to the vacuum to allow suction to be used in other areas of the room.

I was thinking that this corner next to the Wood rack and close to the 220 Volt plug. We could in this area tie the exhaust into the air vent to the outside? If we build a dust collection box in between. An idea but I have no idea if we could do it properly or if its worth the effort. If we get some consensus we can reassemble the thing and give it a test run.

I am damn sure this is the strongest vacuum we’ve ever had. This is my cat before we got the shop vac then after we got the vac. What better proof do we need.

4 Likes

rofl re cat. thanks for providing/coordinating this;

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.