Whats up with 1080 cards and currency mining?

Figured someone here might have an answer.

Just wondering whats up with everyone using the 1080 ti to bitcoin mine. Thought FPGA’s replaced all that.

I ask because my apartment is heated by electricity so if i would pay back on the electrical bill and help heat the apartment I’d actually consider it. Cause then I’d be making money

Though has to be worth the $1000 for a card

A lot of hashing functions for crypto currencies are memory hard, that is, their speed is determined by the bandwidth of a memory bus more cycles through an ALU. Notable examples are equihash and dagger hashimoto.

GPUs are built with very high bandwidth memory busses ( > an order of magnitude larger than a ddr4 bus). They are also comparatively cheap and low power when stacked against FPGAs. Building an ASIC doesn’t get you much because it isn’t lack of compute blocks limiting you, it’s data across a interface which is.

1 Like

Ethereum might be your better option, or zcash.

I have an radeon 290 4gb card and I started mining ethereum because I was
going to have to pay for heating my place anyways.

A 500watt electrical heater consumes the same amount of energy a 500watt
computer does.
It produces the same amount of heat too. So the cost of electricity doesn’t
really matter, you’ve got to pay for it regardless.

The thing that matters is how much you invest in the computer, and how much
ethereum/whatevercoin you can mine, and how much the value of
ethereum/whatevercoin increases over time.

With my radeon 290 I mine at an average of 24.5MH/s which equates to
about 0.004162 ETH a day. It will take me ~240 days to get 1 ETH.
The current exchange rate 1 ETH = ~$375CAD.

I paid $300CAD for the card so I’ll pay it off in ~192 days, assuming
exchange rates don’t change.
But if the price of ETH goes up like BTC does then I’m laughing.

But the 1080ti only does about ~30MH/s, which isn’t much more than I make
with my old card.

But regardless of the card that you get mining sooner than later is better.

Yeah I’ve heard lots about those who got in early with bitcoin then afterwards people who weren’t making enough to pay for there electricity.

Which is why I was wondering what was going on with Videocards.

And for the same reason as Thomas. Also so I can justify getting a much better Videocard, or 2 :slight_smile:

What might interest some of you is that there are apparently other organizations looking at block chains as a way to secure other data activities. I’ve heard of things like medical records. No idea who, how or when but it might be another crash flow in the future for people to mine.

Nice idea. Heating should be the only reason to mine coins.

We put so much effort into saving energy and using alternative energy sources, and then we start a currency where you get rewarded for throwing energy away.

1 Like

Yes but BC is the perfect place, electricity is cheap and mostly Hydro and were building a nice little dam to ensure future supply. I estimated his cost for about 6 months something like $200 in electricity but Im not sure you need the extra heat in summer.

Fixed.:grin:

Only plans to run it in the cold weather. Our normal weather means that I can probably run it 6 months of the year. But our normal weather isn’t normal anymore.

Also I’m working on our MP to talk him into solar instead. If we completely eliminate carbon fuel we’re going to need more electricity then what they’ve planned for just to heat our places. Or electricity to create biogas.

I love my brown beans but I can only eat so much. Especially if I want to keep my roommate :smiley:

If climate change is caused by CO2 emissions, then we need to shutdown coal plants ASAP. Alberta has at least 2 that could benefit from our dams and geography. That new dam is tiny in comparison to WAC Bennett, we perhaps need to think globally. (anyways it all gets rather political).

Hey Daniel, Vancouver is doing a big fat zero getting people off gas heating. Guess it should be banned or something.

We were talking about the site c dam back in 2008 when I was on the sustainability committee for the Vancouver board of Trade. Had lots of discussions back then as well.

I’m trying to do my part for the environment. I designed an adapter for my AC unit so that during the fall and spring I can reverse the air flow and heat the house while cooling the air outside. Only really practical for this area of Canada. certainly doesn’t work in -30. But because I can’t get patents on it and if I tried to create a commercial product and it failed I’d be out of money. If it succeeded then all the AC companies could modify there machines so I can’t sell things anymore then they would do it themselves for half the cost and charge more. The beauty of capitalism for you.

You turned your air conditioner into a reversible heat pump? Awesome project! I am very interested in this. Would you start a new thread with pictures and details?

Yeah I’ll try to take some pics and post the project. I just never think people are interested in stuff I do.

Accept maybe pictures to prove I actually do get some things done.

Daniel

Is this a window mount, portable or split A/C system?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.