What system is talk.vanhack.ca running on? How can I help?

Hello members and admins of Talk

I really like the system that our discussion forum Talk is running on and I am very curious what it is?
I would love to learn more about how it is run and would like any opportunity to volunteer to make it better.

My background is in graphic design, game design, UI/UX design and development.

cheers!

1 Like

Hi @paldari! It’s running Discourse! Unfortunately there’s not a lot that can be customized with it, but if you feel like helping out, we are currently working on a new portal system (https://portal.vanhack.ca/) to replace our static Wordpress frontpage, that could use some help, if you’re up for it!

Let me know if you want access to the repository for the portal or anything else?

Cool! Thanks for the info.
Are we running our own instance on our server?

How can I help with the portal page?

:slight_smile:

Yeah, we’re hosting our Discourse, Dockerized, on our own server.

The portal is currently based on Node and uses Pug/Jade for the HTML. If you feel like you can make a better design, it’s one of the things we’re looking for.

Send me a PM with your Github username and I can add you to the repository for the portal.
(This goes for anyone who’d like to help out.)

Sounds like SIAT @ SFU?

I know there was also a member looking to design some posters. I’ll point him this way!

@TyIsI is the leading expert on our server infrastructure. Glad you’re looking to help!
As ty said, Discourse isn’t that easily customizable, but there are CSS options etc.
Here’s a list of some of other Discourse based sites: Discourse customers | Discourse - Civilized Discussion to see some examples.

Check some stuff out, let us know what you think.

@Rob_MacKenzie Nope :blush: Emily Carr.

That’s a very impressive list of clients! Didn’t know it was that popular.
I really liked the feature where it searches similar topics for you automatically as you typed so I wanted to try it out for myself.

@TyIsI I will have a look at the portal and let you know if I have any ideas.

thanks!

1 Like

Well, im still looking for some one to make a poster to get distributed.
Must have our name, short description of what vhs is, our website, our open
hours, and our address so that it’s suitable to be used to advertise the
space.

Able to assist?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.