What kind of laser do we have?

A friend of mine is working with laser cutters in another space in order to create stamps.
She asked me to find out the precise make and model for our laser cutter.
She also said that some laser cutters have a special setting for stamp creation
Does anybody here know ?

We have a Redsail CM1080.

http://vanhack.ca/doku.php?id=tool:redsail_cm1080_laser_cutter

It doesn’t have any special settings for stamp creation, but there are
laser-safe rubbers that you can purchase that work well.

To add on to Jarrett’s answer, it started as a Redsail CM1080, but it’s had it’s high voltage power supply, control board, ventilation, and cooling all upgraded and replaced. (I believe this leaves the steppers and their drivers as the only original electronic systems)
The tube is a Reci, which may or may not have been stock.
Our version of LaserCAD is also slightly customized, with some of the more useless and potentially workpiece/eye ruining features removed from the UI.

The control board is partly burnt out, from when the magic smoke escaped from the original laser power supply, taking the USB circuits of the controller and the computer attached to it out with it.

It’s had extra workpiece lighting and a red sighting laser added.

In short, it’s exactly the laser cutter you’d expect a hackspace to own.

5 Likes

Speaking of which, that’s out again. I’ve been meaning to ask if that was an LCC-only fix or if anyone could track that down. Last time I think it was @TomKeddie who handled it and said it was just a wire that came loose from the constant moving and IIRC was an easy fix, but I didn’t want to get in there without permission

Wasn’t me @RobertButterworth fixed it at the bunker, probably been fixed a few times since. The wire feeding it is crap, it gets torn apart by the motion.

hmm. maybe you just happened to be the person I talked to about it. Sorry to drag you into it :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 364 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.