(FULL) Wed Nov 13: 7 - 9:30 pm Woodshop Demo with Jon (VHS Members Only)

Join experienced woodworker and designer Jon for an evening of shop demos. He’ll show how to process a rough board into finished lumber in preparation for woodworking. Learn how to use the tablesaw, jointer, and planer. There will also be a demo of tablesaw joinery if time permits. Check out Jon’s beautiful woodworking and other projects at https://www.instagram.com/hexisgood/

This event is free and for VHS members only. Please arrive 15 minutes early and be prepared to be in a shop environment. No loose clothing, hair, or jewellery please. Thanks!

No experience is necessary. Beginners welcome.

10 Likes

Oooh I’ll be there

2 Likes

I look forward to sharing a few things about basic tool use and maintenance as well as answering any questions you may have about shop practices, woodworking, joinery, etc!

3 Likes

I know I’ve talked to at least 4 other people who are coming. Could be more. :smiley:

1 Like

I am coming for sure.

Edit: Something just popped up so I wont be able to make it in. I will join you guys next time. Thank you for putting this together.

2 Likes

Ok that’s great, hopefully we don’t have too many folks for it to make sense. This is a casual and informal meeting that will involve demonstrations of equipment. Maybe it’s prudent to limit it to 10 people per session? What do those interested think? Maybe I could ask that you indicate here if you plan to attend? :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Pretty sure @mikamika and @JustLacksZazz are.

1 Like

Will definitely be attending! ^ thanks for putting me down Janet

2 Likes

Thanks @Janet! I’ll be there for sure!

2 Likes

I will try my best (traffic) to be there Jon!
Thank you!

2 Likes

I’d like to join!

2 Likes

I’ll be there to help facilitate, however I can be used. You shouldn’t feel the need to include me in a total, though, as I can stand in a corner (or by the front door) if necessary. Just here to help.

1 Like

I would like to attend as well !

1 Like

I’ll be there - happy this is happening!

1 Like

Im interested in attending. Im not a member but am interested in becoming one. I have an interest in building small pieces of furniture and am in need of a space to build. Would like to get to know people and ask some questions about how the space works but also get familiar with what tools are available. Would i be able to join you tomorrow night?

1 Like

Hi @Franz,

Great to hear you’re interested in joining VHS! Please come on out to our Tuesday night public open house to check out the space. There will be more folks around to give you a tour, answer questions, and show you all of our tools at a leisurely pace without lots of loud saws running. It’ll be much easier to chat. Tuesdays are also a really great night to meet members and see what people are working on from woodworking to electronics and other stuff.

We’re open every Tuesday night from 7:30 - 10:30 pm. See the calendar for more details here.

Hope to see you at VHS!

Hey Janet, I already gave Franz a tour and showed him the wood workshop. He already have some carpentry experience but he wants a demo on how those specific tools should be used and get to know the woodworking team. would he be able to join the wood working demo given that context?

1 Like

Hey - thanks for showing Franz around! This is a free training event for members (one of the many awesome perks of VHS membership is knowledge-sharing like this). Franz is very welcome to attend if he becomes a member. More details here: Membership - Vancouver Hack Space

Edit: that reminds me - there’s also a Pacific Woodworker’s Guild meeting next week - which is also free for VHS members (another great perk especially for woodworkers). More details here.

https://www.meetup.com/Pacific-Woodworkers-Guild-Meetup/

1 Like

Hi guys. I’m planning on being there tonight

1 Like

Thanks everyone. The shop will be pretty full so let’s cap attendance at those who have responded above plus Franz if he signs up.