VHS Metal Lathe Training Details

Sign me up for this training

It seems to me that Rsim is putting alot of effort into this for free. Im thinking why not get in a BCIT metalshop instructor in to do the safety and theoretical. This can free up Rsim to do the practical and skills development. Perhaps the BCIT instructor can do some of that too.

-Bob

I was thinking about this as well, the money to pay for the instructor can
come out of the course fees.

We could also do this for some of the other equipment like the milling
machines.

This has come up a lot, and is a very good solution. It totally falls under
do-ocracy - somebody has to make the right inquiries, contact the right
person, and then set up some sort of arrangement.

An obvious candidate to do all that would be anyone on that list that is
frustrated with not getting timely training.

Great idea.

Below are links to the two courses (Lathe and Mill) that I took from BCIT several years ago. It was a night class, and the instructors were very knowledgeable. Unfortunately since these courses were paid for by my former employer, with all registration information completed via my work email, I no longer have the contact info of the instructors. Perhaps a current BCIT student can go through the BCIT system and dig up their contact info?

If youā€™ve taken the BCIT courses and use the machines for work, would you have the skill level to teach VHS members?

I will contact the instructor and teaching assistant of the metal shop at Emily Carr and see if either of them are willing\interested.

Cheers,

H

1 Like

I believe that Richard has developed a program that should be followed.

Iā€™ve been waiting for some time to sit in and follow the course along so
that I could teach the course as well.

Iā€™ve been machining for 24 years. But I want to make sure that I follow
the previously established protocolā€™s.

The Lathe specifically is a monster of a machine if you mess up. So itā€™s
not to be taken lightly.

1 Like

@Big_Mak I think the overriding concerns are a) safety and b) not damaging
the machine.

I feel confident that an instructor can design a simple course to meet
these requirements and get us unblocked from using the lathe.

Weā€™ve been bottlenecked for months on subject matter expert availability in
the membership, letā€™s get some momentum behind this and get some usage out
of it.

6 Likes

Sadly a no go on the metal shop instructor. He is too busy to take on more classes and his assistant isnā€™t experienced enough with the lathe. If I think of anyone else, Iā€™ll let yā€™all know.

oh oh please add me to the list of people whoā€™d like to get up to speed on the lathe. Iā€™ve used one before, briefly, and years ago, so Iā€™d really like a refresher before I start working with the machine. Iā€™m available at almost any time.

Scott

My wife has a somewhat large project that requires use of a lathe to make custom metal beads. Any way to get a training sesh going in the next couple weeks? :slight_smile:

Iā€™d be in for lathe training if it can be set upā€¦

Put me down on the lathe training list too. Thanks!