URGENT! Funding a new metal lathe for VHS TODAY

Hi everyone,

There’s an auction for a 12x36" metal lathe that ends in a little less than 8 hours, and I’d like to get a group-buy going. I expect after taxes and shipping from its current location it’ll all-in be around $1500. With VHS’s tool-purchase matching of 30%, we’re looking at raising around $1400 (was: $1000) ASAP!

Why do we need a new lathe? Our current one is broken, fragile, and we cannot get replacement parts for it (we’ve tried). See this thread for details: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/metal-lathe-out-of-order/12897

This new lathe is a slight upgrade in every way over our current lathe (slightly larger, slightly newer, some nicer features).
We currently have a 11x22" (working area) lathe, and once you add in the chuck and live center, we’re talking more like ~16" of usable space work piece (and much less if you need to use a drill or boring bar). It has a non-standard half-metric and half-imperial spindle nose (where the chuck mounts), a similarly non-standard and small spindle bore, a tiny MT2 tailstock, and if it’s run in reverse the chuck will simply unscrew itself and fall off.
The candidate lathe is a 12x36" model so that’s over an extra foot of working space, AND it has a removable gap-bed for turning even larger diameter pieces than 12". It has a standard/modern D1 cam-lock spindle which not only means that we can easily buy additional chucks/faceplaces/etc but it can be run in reverse safely (used for reverse threads and safe “backwards” normal threading), but it also has a standard MT5 taper. There are various other upgrades also over our current machine, and it’s in very good condition from the looks of the photos. The only potential downside that I can see is that it may not already have a 4-jaw chuck (but it just may not be in the limited pictures), though that’s an easy problem to solve as it has a modern and standard spindle.

Simply put, this is the perfect lathe upgrade for us, at a price that cannot be beat (it would normally sell for $4000+, from my years of looking for a machine like this).

To get the ball rolling towards the $1400 (was: $1000) purchase, I’ll chip in $250. This is that amazing a deal and upgrade! Please reply below with a commitment if you’re able to chip in anything, and I’ll update this post.

*** UPDATE *** It’s currently at $1300, so I suspect it may end up going for over $1500 unfortunately (+ tax & shipping). It’d still be a great deal, but we need to raise more than originally thought - so please continue to chip in if you can. I feel an upper limit of $2000 is appropriate ($1400 + VHS match of $600), though even that is very cheap for this lathe.

7 Likes

I’m in for $100

7 Likes

Asbestos?

1 Like

$200

7 Likes

The power cable apparently. Same as our current lathe and mill (and anything else from the 80’s or earlier)… we should replace those. :slight_smile:

1 Like

$200

6 Likes

Auction details please.

1 Like

In for $50 Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

I’ll pledge $50

6 Likes

I’d chip in $250!

7 Likes

Auction details please.

I’m trying not to post it publicly out of paranoia that the price will get pushed up. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s in the #machine_shop channel in Slack though.

The auction is currently at $1300, so I suspect it may end up going for over $1500 unfortunately (+ tax & shipping). It’d still be a great deal, but we need to raise more than originally thought - so please continue to chip in if you can. I feel an upper limit of $2000 is appropriate ($1400 + VHS match of $600), though even that is very cheap for this lathe. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

I’ll do $100

6 Likes

i’ll do 100

7 Likes

In for 250

6 Likes

$100 from me

6 Likes

In for 25bux. Also let’s paint that sucka hot pink like Cook St. #bikeshed #sorrynotsorry.

6 Likes

100 from me

6 Likes

We got it!!! Thank you everyone who helped get this done in what has to be record time, and possibly even a record value I think (or at least close to it)!?!

I’ll send those who pledged towards the lathe a message with e-transfer details.

Breakdown
We have $1775 in pledges, which along with VHS’s matching 30% puts us at $2307.50. The auction closed at $1700.98, then with $119.07 PST and $85.05 GST the total came to $1905.10. Tomorrow I’ll get some quotes from machinery riggers/movers.

$2307.50 - $1905.10 = $402.40 - riggers = ???

If there’s anything left after the riggers, it will go towards getting the new lathe operational and accessories for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for riggers? The lathe is located in Surrey right now.

4 Likes

Just saw this. Congrats for getting this unit. I think it will be a great addition to the space. Put me down for $50 towards getting it up and running.

4 Likes

I’ll do $75

5 Likes