Hi all, I’ve gone through and added a few supplier businesses that are closer to our new East Van location.
- FreeGeek - non-profit electronics recycling
- Maiwa - Textiles and Dyes
- Our Social Fabric - textiles and notions non-profit
- Fabrictime Solutions - fabric wholesaler
- Greenline - plumbing and fitting
- Castertown - hardware
- Home Hardware on commercial
- Allworld - plastics and packaging
I also added an entirely new section for thrift and second-hand stores since we have so many in east van, like Value Village and VGH thrift store, etc. Some of them have electronics while some are just fashion stores for costumes / props.
If you can think of any other nearby businesses that should be added, please post here and I will update the wiki.
Thurs Mar 14
- Do we have a layout picture of our space? It would be great to have this in the new member page to point out fire extinguishers, first aid kits, etc
- Re-working Events section of the wiki to create an easier way for folks to create and sign up for events
- “space pictures” section needs to be updated if not to include Venables location, then to remove and archive photos of old location as not to confuse new folks
- Completely re-hauled the FAQ section and out it up near the new members section
- Update the work area page. Hopefully I can take some pictures next week to complete these sections and update them to reflect the new space
- I’ve noticed that trash is a reoccurring issue in the space, and it leads to the areas feeling cluttered and unwelcoming. Can we discuss a sort of “Disneyland policy: http://www.disneydining.com/top-9-bizarre-disney-facts/” where we have lots of permanent and visible trash bins and create a culture of using them and taking out trash?
- Another issue is coats and bags. If there is a dedicated space at the front of house for coats and bags, people aren’t using it, and they are taking up a lot of needed space by putting their jackets and bags on the tables.
- Would it make sense to implement, on busy nights, some sort of “cleaning lottery”? When you arrive, your name goes in a lottery, and they are pulled to clean up areas. This can help encourage cleanliness and respect for spaces that aren’t your own. It can also help to root out slackers who rely on other members to do all the work and cause membership burnout.
- Would we ever consider switching over from Slack to Discord? Discord has all the features of Slack and more, is free, and doesn’t require admin invite. (it can be made private invite or public) https://www.chanty.com/blog/discord-vs-slack/
Main Website stuff
Language on the website links needs to be uniform. On the Talk forums, the link back to the main website says “blog” but links to the main page, not the blog.
[Q] Is VHS a co-op?
[A] No, VHS is a non-profit society. Link is broken on the main website, I cannot fix anything on the main website, so I’m just recording it here.
[Q] When is the next event?
[A] Check out our calendar or blog for information about the next event. “blog” links back to the main website, not the blog. We need to decide what is considered our “blog” and what isn’t to avoid labeling and traffic confusion.
I have edited this to point to the actual blog on the wiki FAQ
Updated the wiki FAQ to point towards the new Wiki events section, need someone on the website end to update the site FAQ
There are some Misc / old / dead pages on the main website that need to be updated or removed
https://vanhack.ca/wp/contact-us/ - As discussed before, the contact page needs more information as to who the form is going to and what its purpose is. The reason you are getting unwanted laser cutting service requests is because the form does not explain why it exists.
We need to have the board of directors listed on the contact page, even if it is only the directors email and not individual contacts.
The Tools page on the main bar links to the wiki, then we also have a link to the wiki later on down the bar. This could be organized better.
https://vanhack.ca/wp/membership/ This format of this page is really inconsistent in terms of layout, font, colour, etc, and the large graphic serves little purpose, especially on mobile. The purple colour of the headings isn’t used anywhere else on the website, only on the membership page.
Update the red text saying we are moving to a new space.
http://vanhack.ca/wp/events-calendar/ Why do we have pings / trackbacks from 2013? Can we delete or update those?
Certain pages on the website show the blog archive unnecessarily. The contact page, constitution and bylaws pages and others don’t need to have the blog archive present.
Social Media Stuff
- Would we consider having a presence on Meetup.com in order to draw in new members?
- Do we have any standard graphics or logos? Can we / I design some to get consistent branding for our online presence? If there are any standard design elements, where can I find them?
- The profile pictures for our facebook and twitter pages are pixelated and improperly cropped to fit the circle format. We need ones that look professional.