The Old VHS Minutes Thread!

Today I…

1. Recorded the minutes of the QGM :slight_smile:

2. Estimated how much activated charcoal pellets we might want in the laser filtration system, found a reasonably priced listing on Amazon, and ordered 5 litres, which should be enough for about 6mm depth across all six trays. If this works well we can order a larger quantity next time. It’s consumable so we’ll want to pay attention to the exhaust smell. Our filtration system was always intended to use activated charcoal but for whatever reason there hasn’t been any in there for a long time. Maybe it constrained the flow too much?

2 Likes

turns out the current design with a huge cross section area flowing through a very shallow layer of filter medium may not be as good as we thought; we may want to bikeshed^Wdesign an inline filter, where a section of duct can get packed with filter medium.

Was at VHS yesterday with @chadleaman and spent a bunch of minutes taking type out of the attic in preparation for a meeting today. Thanks to the folks who wrapped it previously - made it a lot easier.

Also @JohnC spent more than a minute sorting a bunch of electronic componenets.

3 Likes

On saturday I did a bit more on the floor in the machine shop, and got the lathe standing on its own four feet.
I also adjusted the heating duct on the woodshop side of the space; it turns out that you can just rotate duct elbows! I’ll try to get a wire wrapped around it, secured to the ceiling to keep it from rotating down.

3 Likes

Did some minutes getting type packed up and picked up by SFU and Malaspina Printworks. Thanks @xquared for the help.

2 Likes

About two hours cleaning today

• Swept the front offices,
  • Swept both front entrance stairways
  • Swept the concrete section of the main floor
  • Swept out both bathrooms and bathroom hallway
  • Put the beer/pop cans out in the back lane for the binners
  • Sorted out the “Revolution Recycling” bin - removed food waste and - random garbage that should not go there
  • wiped down all the surfaces with damp cloth to get rid of layer of dust. 3D Printer bench, main work tables, intake desk, sewing area, lounge, laser cutter desk, laser cutter, stair rails, upstairs office tables
6 Likes
  • Mudded a bunch of the drywall seams in the welding room.
  • Vacuumed the wood shop a bit
  • repaired the little portable worktable in the woodshop.
  • picked up and donated a bunch of electrical parts for the wiring upgrades.
5 Likes
  • Started to mow
  • Set up a table in the kitchen and connected things
  • Rerouted power for the server rack
  • Added an extra power bar to the admin table for general use
  • Partly swept the floor to get rid of some glass shards (which I then forgot to get swipe up… thank you @Majicj for getting on that)
4 Likes

I’m in Toronto at the Collision conference right now, but I did spend some time talking to people working on stuff that should be of interest to VHSers. I’ll post some links when I have more time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

mounted all the fire extinguisher signs onto sintra.

5 Likes

Unpacked and cleaned out the Grizzly Metal CNC machine.

Next steps will be to get this machine operational.

9 Likes

Let me know if you need a hand with this.

3 Likes

Updated the membership page to remove the text that says “we ain’t really up and running yet”. We’re always improving stuff but I think we are definitely open for business.

9 Likes

Threw a bucket of water on the lovely VHS Rose bush planted by @SteveRoy

5 Likes

9 Likes

@winegummo I noticed that tonight - looks good!

1 Like

I did some Minutes for VHS today, but will possibly redo at least some of them. Making an adapter for the ER32 collet holder for the manual mill. This will open up the range of endmills that can be used on the machine.

8 Likes

I replaced the electrical plugs on a bunch of the tools in the wood shop that were missing the ground prong on their old plugs.

10 Likes

Yay! Safety!