The Doughocracy - Sourdough Starter Requests, Results, & Bread Talk

Wow!!! That looks so good.

Second loaf same batch seems better:

2 Likes

Wow! That is gorgeous!!! I’ve found the more you bake the stronger it is, just because the starter is getting lots of food/use. I think @TristanL bakes a couple of times a week and his bread looks great.

1 Like

Holy man you guys are making some amazing bread! To have these kind of results right off the bat is incredible, great job!

2 Likes

Is the starter supposed to be fed every day?
Since making the bread I have taken the left over starter and…
30g starter into a jar
30g water
30g white flour
mixed, covered and left out on the counter
next day took 30g starter added water & flour as above

Also wanted to add, while it was great to eat bread we made ourselves it is way easier to germinate/grow sprouts at home.

1 Like

I need to buy a mega bag of flour. What are people using to bake with? So far I’ve just been using Robin Hood unbleached all purpose, mostly because it was on sale. I plan on buying a giant bag of unbleached something …costco maybe?

I get it at Costco, works pretty well with a bit of gluten added. I’ve really tried finding a more unique source, but no one else sells 20kg bags. The only way to get 20kg of decent interesting flours is through distributors, so I even considered bribing my local bakery. I’m sure you could also walk into a warehouse of someone like snowcap and bribe them directly but haven’t gotten the chance. I’ll admit I’ve probably spent too much time thinking about this.

1 Like

I usually go with Costco, I was a bit sketched out with Robin Hood from that one time they had a recall (I did get sick)

Eeek - sorry to hear that. Time to mill our own flour.

there are now 3 people other than me at my work eating bread from this starter.

2 Likes

just curious. @TristanL. how long this starter has been going on?

1 Like

I’ve been using it for a couple years, and I got it from someone who had it going 10+yrs. Hard to say really, but it’s a good one.

This makes me happy

3 Likes

absolutely. the smiles on peoples faces when they come into work and show off their bread is amazing!

3 Likes

calzones or as i am calling them pizza tumors.

3 Likes

Those look really good. Jim I need your address, I’m coming over.

I made more pizza tonight with this recipe.

Works really well. I made the dough and it’s been hanging out in the fridge for 3 days, just chillin’
I also froze a batch - will see how that works out.

1 Like

Just wanna say, I love that this has become such a thing. Shine on, you gluten eating weirdos!

1 Like

We love you too @metal_janet. I will bring you bread some time and then quarantine you for a week.

Edit: also who needs starter? Let me know and I’ll bring some in.

1 Like

Could I please get some?

1 Like