Resistance welder

I am curious to try out the small prototype someone has built. Who owns it ?

Afaik, VHS owns it.

Maybe @LoialOtter or @ninetynein know more about it?

@JohnC built it actually

@JayTheDude was the one testing it out most recently. I think he was re-winding the transformer on it. It’s VHS, go nuts. Don’t die.

It was made by @JohnC many years ago, and only recently got unearthed. I
doubt he cares about it. Feel free to try it out (it doesn’t work) or fix
it. More windings on the secondary required, I think.

Yeah, I am going to take it home today to work on it, as I have the needed copper wire.
@Rob let me know what your plans are, we could work on it together!

Well, jaythedude never got back to me. But I’ve been thinking about another idea. How about using a SMPS , which are surely more plentiful than microwave oven transformers anyway. Change the voltage feedback sense resister, Couple of fatter output capacitors, how hard could it be ?

I wonder if there’s a few old AT power supplies already kicking around the hackspace already ?

Haha, what!

Dude, I thought you were going to get back to me! :slight_smile:

And yes there ar quite a few ATX Hanging around

So did you wire up the secondary ? How did it work ?

I’m still working on it, I’m in the middle of rewinding it. My prognosis is that it is not powerful enough to arc weld therefore it needs a second transformer. At the moment it can melt through 0.5 inch nails, which is pretty cool!

I have read a few articles on the web and they all say it needs to transformers

Btw it is better to message me on slack, I’ll respond much quicker!

Sorry, I don’t have access to slack.
I suspect there’s probably little advantage to spot welding over pop rivets unlessyour doing production or just arc welding some half inch nails or whatever you said.
BTW, I googled your name and there’s a lawyer who practices administrative law in Vancouver.IS that a coincidence or are you that lawyer ?

Anyway, let me know if you need any help or parts/material. I would be interested to try it out.

Rob

The is a good guide to protective glasses and shields.

Working many years on a farm I used class 1, eye glasses which were my
regular glasses with impact resistant lenses. These were sporting eye
glasses, but not squash glasses. And only used class 2 glasses for
grinding, and metal / concrete work.

I don’t see carpenters wearing class 2 glasses, have you?

I have started using class 2a eye protection as I find the dust in the air is bothering my eyes when using a class 1, and I have occasionally ended up with dirt/sweat in my eye causing a safety issue while operating power tools. The one drawback is they fog up fairly frequently, I just use it as an indicator that I need to take a short break.

Dust is a good point.

Thanks for posting the link, good information there about welding glare protection.
Curiously though there is no darkness number vs current level recommended for spot welding.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.