Pluto SDR (325-3800Mhz, Tx&Rx, FPGA) $150CAD

If you haven’t heard, Analog Devices has a new evaluation board for their AD9363 Transceiver, the PlutoSDR. It’s currently in manufacturing and expected to ship sometime in early May.

Why buy now? They have an introductory price of $99USD ( $145 CAD at digikey ). Regular price is $149USD

Why would I want this device?
Full-duplex Tx&Rx
Continuous coverage from 325Mhz to 3.8Ghz
20Mhz bandwidth ( RTL-SDR is 3.2Mhz max )
It has a Xilinx Zynq 7Z010 fpga on-board (ARM-9 667Mhz + 28k FPGA blocks and 80 DSP slices for signal processing )

Drawbacks?
Only supports USB2 which is not enough for the bandwidth of the device. However the processor and FPGA fabric should allow you to offload the signal processing from your computer to the SDR, reducing the need for bulk raw data transfers. It also has 512MB of ram which could be used to record radio bursts and then download them to the PC at USB2 speeds.

I plan to order one from Digikey (other option is to buy directly from Analog Devices, but shipping is $24USD ).

At this price, with this features, I suspect the first batch is going to sell out.

PlutoSDR wiki
PlutoSDR Spec sheet (pdf)

If there is enough interest, I could ask Digikey to see if there is a volume discount.

2 Likes

This looks like a great device for HAM interested people.

Who is in the VHS - HAM club?
Can someone from the HAM club comment.

thx

Alas I don’t think this is too useful for HAM use. This would only work for 70cm band and smaller. Most HAM activity is at <30MHz or 2m (~144MHz).

Theoretically a transverter is possible to move the range into the HAM bands.

Ian

This topic was automatically closed 364 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.