New to vending machine 2017-09-20

I have added:

4m*4mm EL wire in PURPLE! Comes with a driver. Requires 2x AA batteries. four modes: solid on, fast blink, slow blink, and off. Currently $35.

~15 WS2812B RGB LEDs. Just enough to run them all off a 5v 300ma source like an Arduino. Perfect for your first foray into colored light coding. Currently $5, same as in the LED class I offer.

If you have more suggestions, post links here.

Thank you!

Hi Dan - couple of things I would suggest.

• single pair packs of nitrile gloves (you’d have to package them - they usally come in 20 pair packs at home depot)
  • foam paint brushes for applying stain/paint/etc that are disposable

The other thing that might be great are these practice SMD boards. We used them recently at a workshop and are low cost. Great way for people to practice or learn SMD on their own. They even have test points on the board so you can use a multimeter to test the voltage/resistance to see if your joints are solid.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5Set-SMT-SMD-Component-Welding-Practice-Board-Soldering-Practice-DIY-Kit-65x53mm/32366728457.html

You could also add some VHS learn-to-solder badges if they are not already in there. I believe VHS sells them for 5 bucks a pop.

1 Like

like these?

done and done.

1 Like

Ear plugs, disposable heppa filter masks

1 Like

A catalog on the side that describes what the items are

2 Likes

I’ve added labels to every bag as I go so - over time - they will be self-describing.

2 Likes

Those look great Dan.

The SMT/SMD test boards have arrived and will appear in the vending machine ASAP.

3 Likes

That’s great. Feel free to print this handout to go with them if it helps. We used this in the SMD workshop. Has some good how-to links.

Any chance you have that file in a more friendly format like PDF?

Disposable gloves have arrived and should make it into the machine this weekend.

ESPs are in.

SMT boards are in.

The subject of how to run the vending machine better has come up in space-improvement conversation. I would love to have other people manage the machine. “How would funds and contents be tracked when many people can access the machine?” is a problem no one seems to be able to solve. In my visits to other hackspaces I’ve learned of several attempted solutions, all of which have failed - except the single person system. Don’t take my word for it, ask next time you visit another space.

The contents of the machine change as often as I visit the space. Keeping an up to date list of what is in there has been tougher than keeping it stocked with loose change. I’m going to try a laminated drawing of the spaces in the machine and then write the contents with an dry-erase marker. As long as nobody trolls then it’ll hit the sweet spot between easy-to-update and leave-no-trace.

There’s a wiki page for the vending machine, which even includes an (albeit extremely outdated) description of inventory. A QR code with the appropriate address could direct people to that information.

https://vanhack.ca/doku.php?id=tool:vending_machine

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.