New guy here, saying "Hi"... Hi!

Hello folks!

I just joined here and I’m very excited to become a part of the community. I’ve been makin’ stuff in one way or another my whole life and I’m glad to see there are so many like-minded people around. Living in an apartment has been somewhat limiting my making capabilities so I’m looking forward to being able to make some mess in an appropriate space (don’t worry, I’ll clean it up!) and make some new friends at the same time.

As far as my crafty type experience, I’ve done some woodworking (I built an electric guitar last year), mold making, casting, fibreglass work, basic leather work, paint work, drawing, AutoCAD drafting and 3D modeling (I also use Blender 3D for modeling and animation), and whatever else I can find to play around with. I’ve been a massive Star Wars fan my whole life and have recently started a YouTube channel about Star Wars props and costumes (feel free to check it out here if you are interested!). I’ve just started to dabble in metal work so I am very excited to learn about using the manual lathe and the manual mill, as well as the CNC machines.

I have taken a tour of the shop and I’m very impressed with all VHS has to offer! I’ve taken a look around the forum here and the website and read up on everything I can find for new members. I do have a couple of questions that perhaps someone could help me with:

How do I get on the VHS Slack? I’ve never used Slack before in my life, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

I realize that the pandemic has thrown things out of wack, but I would really like to start training on the manual lathe so if anyone has any tips on getting started with that process, please let me know!

OK, that’s probably enough for my little introduction here. I really look forward to meeting you all and getting to know the ins and outs and whathaveyous of VHS!

Cheers,

Mike.

7 Likes

It was nice meeting you today Mike. Look forward to seeing around the shop more.

here is the link to appointy our booking system. please register as a non-keyholding member before coming in.

I am not sure how to get you on slack, may be someone else can help you with that.

1 Like

You can get access to Slack through the membership system on the Get Involved page

Which lathe are you talking about? For wood or for metal?

1 Like

Thanks for the info on Slack! I think I’ve got that sorted now. :+1:

I’m really interested in getting started on the required training to be able to use the manual metal lathe. If someone could point me in the right direction there, I would really appreciate it!

@Billiam has been running the metal lathe training! I’m not sure from the top of my head if there’s a signup thread for that

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’ll drop Bill an note and see what’s what. :smile:

1 Like

Your lightsaber videos are awesome! At one point, there used to be some members of the local 501st Legion (Star Wars cosplay group) at VHS. Anybody still around from those days? I fancy myself a bit of droid mechanic. I’ve built an R2 and I’m currently collecting parts for a BB8.

3 Likes

Your R2 is incredible! I would love to check it out and pick your brain about your build sometime. I’m glad you enjoyed my first couple of videos. I’ve got more in the works covering various other Star Wars props and costumes. I’m actually hoping to be able to make some “build log” type videos as I work on things in the future. Where are you at in your BB8 build? I’d love to see your progress so far and see how you plan to make it all work!

2 Likes

All the stuff is kept out at my buddy’s shop in Richmond (who actually paid for the thing). I’d like to bring it down to VHS at some point. It’s, a bit of a monster to move, but if we can do FanEx, we can do VHS. Apparently, I just have one blurry photo of the BB8. There are two main designs for motion, and we’re still weighing our options.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.