Need he name of the mechanish/motion

Hey all. What I am trying to design is essentially a tackle box where opening one side will force the other side to open: So when I open A, B will open as well; so the two red dots are linked in some way that they move opposite eachother either both to the inside or the outside. I am thinking a scissor mechanism between those points is what I want to connect the two? Is there a better way?

Something along these lines might work with the blue dots being links not pin points, but it looks wrong.:

Oh hey… never saw one where the handle was the mechanism to move it. press down on the handle, the drawers open lift by the handle and they close…

This one was just labeled “cantilever toolbox”…

Crappy Internet search yields the following content:

Image result for Two Tray Cantilever Tool Box - Made by Draper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYt0E3irqQ

2 Likes

I think toma wins the cookie… still don’t know what the hell it’s called, but that should do what I had in mind. As usual, I was over-complicating it.

1 Like

I’ve used this site before for finding things

Another option is using a pair of gears at the pivot points of the brackets.

1 Like

Pretty sure it is not that simple: I don’t think @toma’s will move. @Daniel_DeGagne gear idea should work, though that may not be the look you’re going for.

1 Like

Might be able to take some inspiration from a parallel robotic end effector / gripper. Would need some pretty beefy teeth though…

1 Like

Kinda tangential, but I’m a huge fan of 507 Movements: http://507movements.com/

2 Likes

Yes to both of you. Claw has the gear I thought had the idea that might work.

And yes 507 movements was the site I was also trying to find. I am so terrible with remembering names. of anything.

Great site some of the movements are animated. Sadly not all yet. Not sure he’s doing much lately to update them.

1 Like

Same here… If I know the name I can look it up but my memory is crap… And looking up “that thing where two sides move mirror images” really doesn’t work so well :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to all for the ideas/sites. I definitely don’t mind using gears.

Another good place to look up mechanical mechanisms is this one: 2,100 Mechanical Mechanisms | Hackaday

No less than 2100 of them, all animated and with a catalogue in PDF format.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.