Metal Engraving, Air Tools, and Jewelry Tools

Hi I am new to hackspace. I was hoping to find a time to connect with metaljanet because I am an engraver and I use air tools and I have tools that might benefit others and I think Janet would be the right person to talk to?
Liz

1 Like

Calling @Metal_Janet! Also possibly @JohnC.

Precision air tools are awesome - what kinds?

2 Likes

Awesome! I used to work at a jeweller’s supply store in North Van many years ago, and engraving was something I always wanted to try, but never got around to. What kinds of tools do you have?

I have some grand plans in my head to set up a jeweller’s bench at VHS in the future.

3 Likes

I would be interested in helping you with that. I might need to make some jewelry

2 Likes

Hello Liz! Nice to meet you.

What equipment would you like to share, and what support infrastructure might it need?
Do you have an idea of what kinds of training requirements you’d like to have to ensure that the tools are treated properly?

Janet (the metal one)

1 Like

I have grs gravermax and meister and a grs graverhone for sharpening carbide steel. I have a gravers block and a press for bracelet bending, a foredom for fine drilling, an ultrasonic cleaner and a tumbler for polishing. I’m not really a jeweler I’ve mostly only ever done engraving but wish to get an oxygen acetylene system next. I’d be super happy to teach people who were interested. I’m really excited to meet you all and talk more about making awesome stuff as I have so much to learn!

2 Likes

GRS tools

3 Likes

Awesome!!! Look forward to talking more!

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m looking forward to getting through my probation.

2 Likes

Hello metal Janet, can you see my reply below? If not please let me know. In addition to GRS tools, I have a press for bracelet bending.

2 Likes

Wow! Those are some seriously great tools that you have @lizard . I’d like to chat with you to get your input on setting up a jewellery bench, including an oxy/acetylene torch setup. I have a small box of my own jewellery tools at the space that I’m willing to contribute.

I’d also like to share that my father, who owns Capilano Rock & Gem in North Van (where I used to work), has offered to donate $500 worth of tools to VHS. I’d love to get some input about what we should obtain.

VHS also has a bunch of jewellery tools in the paint room. I have an older-style Foredom and lots of bits and burs. There’s also a vacuum casting machine, ultrasonic cleaner, and we just acquired a brand new heat treating oven a few weeks ago. We have a couple of 3D resin printers that are capable of printing wax moulds for lost wax casting (we would need to order the special casting resin for this). We have tons of buffing wheels and compounds, saws, files, and dapping blocks. I also have a small quantity of sterling silver and semiprecious stones for setting that I’m willing to share with people for learning purposes.

3 Likes

Cool let’s talk. When would be a good time to meet at VHS?

2 Likes

I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon and friday afternoon between noon and 5pm

2 Likes

Ok, this seriously pushed up the time line for cleaning out the paint and mess room.

3 Likes

Tbh I’m not sure that the paint room is a good location for a jewelry bench. Open flames and flammable paint don’t belong in the same workspace.

It would still make sense to have the jewelery workstation near the paint room, but just outside perhaps. This way it would still be close to the paint room for messy purposes like making moulds and using buffing equipment, and it would keep the source of ignition out of the paint room.

2 Likes

okok somewhere else then. we will figure something out.

2 Likes

@lizard wow, echoing what @JohnC said, that’s an impressive bit of kit you’ve got there! If you want to lead a group buy on an oxy/acetylene setup, I’m sure you’d find more than a few people who’d like to jump in on that. I think we’re more or less ready for that as a group, at this point.

Open flame work should be done in the metal shop, as that’s the area that has the fire-rated drywall. Ideally it should be done with the metal shop door converted to a working fire exit. (It’s not a ton of work to do this, it’s mostly just me finding the time.) The pressure to put a shed out back where the dumpsters currently are increases…

As jewelry is a fairly multi modal practice, it would make sense to have a few different stations that are jewelry/fine metalworking related in the appropriate area of the space.

4 Likes

well now that the wood shop is mostly in shape, when you find the time, lets make some metal shop stuff.

3 Likes

I work until 5 in the west end almost everyday. I live here now so a time will happen, I just have to wait until my schedule looses up a bit.

I am no jeweller, I am an engraver. I can do a bit of jewelry making I can definitely lead anything engraving related as I have done this for 25 years now. Lets find a time where we can meet in person if that is ok? I am still moving out of and cleaning my place on the island and the new owners take possession mid may and that is when my shop there dissolves completely so it is going to be a few weeks before I can be there regularly. I am very excited to have made this connection!!! Thank you :))