Metal Engraving, Air Tools, and Jewelry Tools

Absolutely agreed on all points! Count me in for a group buy of oxy-ace torch setup and accessories (flux/borax, pickle+hotplate+pot, pumice pan, etc); a small one that’d be appropriate for jewelry has been on my wish list for ages.

Speaking of multiple stations, we’d also need to think about where we’d do the pickling of brazed parts. Maybe a hot plate in the welding shop for the fume extraction?

You only really need an oxy torch for casting, or special case repair where you don’t want to heat part of the thing you are soldering. Most jewellery soldering (read, brazing) is done with a regular acetylene plumbers torch. If you are aiming that way all you need is a firebrick a basic torch and some flux and you are set.

From experience, cold pickle works just fine, just takes a little longer and is a lot safer.
Heating the pickle speeds up the process, but the fumes will slowly erode the enamel of your teeth.

If you want to try it, pick up some sodium bisulfate (sold as PH- in the grocery/home store pool & spa section, its the same thing as jewllers pickle but its way cheaper and the chemicals are higher quality) mix it with water (it will precipitate out if you’ve added too much) and drop a piece of oxidized copper in there.

Also be advised no matter what you do you will get pickle on your clothes, they will look fine until the next time you run em through the wash after which you will discover large holes, magic I tell you.

2 Likes

Hi @lizard, I’m also Liz :slight_smile:

I did a jewelry workshop once, it was really fun, and I’d like to do more but don’t currently have access to tools and stuff. So I would definitely be interested in learning to use your tools and contributing to setting up a proper jewelry bench.

2 Likes

oh, yeah I wasn’t actually wanting it for jewelry making - just hopping on the bandwaggon. :wink: I’m wanting to make some more steam engines!

2 Likes

Welcome to VHS @lizard! Great to have you here. I renamed this thread to bit a bit more descriptive so we can find it easily. Keep on rocking!

1 Like

Can we race em?

Course I’d need to find it again…

3 Likes

A mini crockpot from the thrift store works really well as a pickling pot.

I have a mini crockpot :slight_smile: I also have copper tongs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a book from a jeweler’s course I took in someone’s basement that gives a basic list of supplies that has helped me decide how best to spend my money on jewelry making supplies. I have it in Duncan and I will bring it when we meet as it will help guide what to get? But other than that I really have no formal training and am mostly self taught so any info is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

that is so cool!!!

this is really good info, thankyou. I did not know about my tooth enamel getting eroded… holy crap!! but I am super careful around the fumes, anyhow. I am currently using a propane torch for soldering… yes propane like the kind you use for plumbing. I tried those little hand held torches from Lee Valley but it was too difficult to reliably refill the butane… and it kept leaking… and I have a morbid fear/paranoia/healthy respect for compressed flammable gases. I use regular firebricks to take the heat left over from a friend’s glass bending kiln and they work and I have a couple of third hands to hold the pieces… but my soldering is kind of crude. anyhow, thank you for this info, I cannot wait to get to VHS and learn more and share what I have learned.

1 Like

I am happy to help with the working fire exit any way I can metal_Janet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Presumably you’re already following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeL2Qhuw0_w with bated breath :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.