Poll: MEAT Space, A nick name for the new cook street space

I have been calling the new space the MEAT Space for the last few weeks.
MEAT as in we are meeting in the flesh at the space. On a street that is called cook, an action that you do to MEAT. Get it?

What do you think we should call it?

2 Likes

I like the Shoe Box that has been thrown around before

3 Likes

I believe I was the one who coined “Shoebox”, but I frequently refer to bringing a digital model to life as bringing it into meatspace so I can get behind either one.

Yeah I’m a much bigger fan of The Shoebox than Meat Space - the later sounds like a sleazy club/bar imo.

Shoebox! Shoebox! Shoebox!

3 Likes

The Kitchen?

1 Like

Shoebox ++

1 Like

Shoebox is the company and brand name of the previous occupants of the space. Also a Shoebox is 2 x 4.5 in dimensions and the physical space is actually 2 x 2.5. Booerns

hmm, you do have a point there. Maybe someone else will come up with something better then Shoebox or MEAT Space.

MEAT Space is totally cyber punk

1 Like

Shoebox! Shoebox! Shoebox! Shoebox! Shoebox! Shoebox!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie (oh wait, oops).

3 Likes

Now we’re cooking!

Was it? Drat. I know the immediate previous occupants were Shoe.me which, combined with the slightly smaller size made for a clever pun…

I like shoebox - as @miststlkr posted, used to be full of shoe boxes and is smaller than the bunker.
Sounds better than the “pepto place” too

Steve

1 Like

I kinda thought it was a…

shoe-in.

((Yeah yeah… I know… but I never let grammar and reality get in the way of a bad joke.))

3 Likes

Steve.

3 Likes

We can dub the BBQ on the roof the meatspace!

1 Like

I love Meatspace as I am huge into Cyberpunk things.

++Meatspace

2 Likes

“Pressure cooker” ?

I’ve already posted my vote but want to explain my thought process. I also get a sleazy vibe from “meatspace”. If I was heading to the hackspace for the first time or thinking of heading down, this name would definitely turn me off. That’s why I prefer “shoebox”.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m not keen on “Shoe Box” as the first image it evokes in my
mind is that of a small, cramped space. I’d like a nickname to be more
evocative of a interesting, welcoming place with space for all.

If it’s a “Hack Space” on Cook Street, what about the “Butcher’s” or"
Butcher’s Block"?
Chop Shop?
The Grill?
The Galley? (Cook Street → Captain Cook → Ship → Galley?)

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of all the names that sound like steakhouses or bars. Ironically, The Bunker is a bar on Robson, so maybe this is an unavoidable fate.

Yeah, “shoebox” sounds cramped, but it’s also apt. Then again it applies to most of our living arrangements too, so maybe we want to evoke something else? The Prairie?

Nobody has suggested The Bikeshed yet. A little too close to home?

Oh here’s one that’s really out there… we could call it VHS!

2 Likes

how about “Cook Street”?
:smile:

I… I don’t get it…

1 Like