Looking for interesting Raspberry Pi projects - CBC

I’m super stoked that the SpaceTime box worked without me being there to validate the new code!

4 Likes

We were all standing around fascinated. It works great. I like the buzzer when the space is closed especially.

One improvement that could be made is feedback about whether the space is actually open. If you put in an invalid time (is. 25:66) it doesn’t open the space but it doesn’t tell you it is invalid either.

1 Like

One segment is also dead on LCD display.
The gel on the bottom looks great, but the top one needs one too, it’s hard to read with lights on.

Everyone’s a critic

Seriously, it is awesome.

Can I take down the old switch now?

We already did :smiley:

The new one is SO sexy.

Yeah, there are a few little bugs like how it will accept an invalid time but do nothing about it. IIRC, the AVR recognizes that it’s an invalid time, so it ignores it, but it forgets to reset/clear the display buffer, so it still looks like the time was set. I haven’t taken the time to set up the AVR C dev and programming environment required to make changes to the code, but if anyone wants to, I kept a list of non-critical to-do’s for the AVR’s C code.

I’ve been meaning to find a green gel for the top display; if anyone has anything (translucent and green) that might work, feel free to try!

Yeah, segment D on the 3rd digit was out last week, so I took the front off and probed around and then it started working again and I couldn’t figure out how to make it stop working. There’s probably a loose connection somewhere.

CBC video and article!

1 Like