Light weight pilot or driver simulation by assembling scrap wood to LED s using computer vision software

I had a brief discussion with somebody in the space about constructing a cockpit / cabin environment for flight / truck / car simulation games. Old computer screens are available out there and also old web cams. One could re-build a regular
office chair into capability of tilting in different directions+ chock vibration

An array of screens could be fitted together into a cabin shape the same way as the two screens that already hangs over the tables. 4 screens could be locked together with bent abs pipes in order to form a virtual vehicle cabin that maneuvers by wires and a plank of wood in the ceiling like a giant puppet on a string.

Gas break and clutch pedals could be assembled with cardboard or wood, and rubber bands all supplied with
battery/ PSU and differently colored L E D s as motion reference indicators
A VERY cheap and basic web camera would be used to capture the movements of the gas clutch and break LED s

Another webcam would capture any LED s from a home build dash board that for instance indicate steering wheel, gear handle parking brake, lights wipers direction indication or anything else that is normally found in a vehicle.

B4 I let this thread die. Because of apparent lack of interest:

There are programs and code out there already in order to facilitate gaming functions based on LED:s and webcam motion capture. see:

Also this:
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=UJR+open+source

OpenCV is really cool and I’m looking to use it in some projects. In particular I’d like to see OpenCV + LinuxCNC + Kinematics + the robot arm all working together. Incredible possibilities there.

The flight-simulator is a cool project idea. I’m not personally interested in building one, but I know there are plenty of fanatics online who build very elaborate setups. I don’t think it’s something that could live at the hackspace as it would need quite a bit of dedicated space.

Not really. According to my dream it would be an assembly / disassembly lightweight on the spot kind of setup that people would be able to have store in their apartments / attic / basements, like:
an IKEA flat packet computer simulation furniture kit.
The chair would maybe be a tricky thing to design like this, but it’s entirely doable IMHO.

Sorry for breaking up my reply. The computer I was using to reply to your input froze up on me twice…
Simulation can be designed to accommodate and fit into normal family activities. Another cool feature that lies dormant within the world of simulation is : - The Voluntary Home Self Torture Appliance No 1

Amazon.com.