Internet at Cook St

lol nvm.

Thank you for choosing Smartt for your Internet needs. Your Internet connection will be installed and activated over the period of Wednesday January 21st to Thursday the 22nd. On Wednesday, a Telus technician will need to enter the electrical room in order to label the necessary cables. The visit may take place at any time during the work day. On Thursday, our installer will go on site to complete the installation and to test the connection. Please ensure that electrical room access is possible on both dates.

Anyone want to hang around VHS all day?

Alternatively, is there anyone within a few minutes of Cook St that wouldnā€™t mind us redirecting the intercom to your phone?

I have arranged to meet the Smartt installer on Thursday but cannot be down there Wednesday for Telus.
I will also be picking up the ADSL modem on Tuesday to bring down Tuesday night as the Telus tech may need it to test the circuit.

Steve

2 Likes

Bump!

We need someone in Cook Street for the working day on Wednesday the 21st
(tomorrow).

Who is available to enable Internet in VHS?

I can do this. Iā€™ll just work on my laptop there for the day, tethered to my phone.

Whoever is championing this ( @Andrew_Hendriks? ) send me a PM with details, access info (Iā€™m not a keyholder), and a number I can call if I have any questions.

@Jarrett https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/jarrett Can you coordinate this
with Luke?

I can be there to open if he can cover the lunch period. I need to be away a few hours then. I will have the details for Telus to pass on.

Per the other thread where IPv6 is mentioned, can Smartt do native IPv6?

Bumpā€¦ any update on internet access today?

Installation was moved to Friday by Telus.

Telus has decided to reschedule their install to this Friday.
I apologize to those who took time off and scheduled their day around the
install today. I will  be the person to wait for Telus on Friday and also
the ISP install which is moved to Monday. I did everything I could as did
Smartt to get Telus in today like they had scheduled but they wouldn't
budge.

Steve

Posted by SteveRoy on 01/21/2015

Please keep logs of rescheduling, how much notice provided. And particular
if this caused additional costs.
Where the cost caused by Telus more than if Telus was providing full
service?

The reason I bring this up, is I worked for a small carrier in NJ which was
forced into bankruptcy by poor service by the carrier owning dsl
substations and extra cost to customers compensating customers for poor
service by the carrier owning substations.

So correct me if Iā€™m wrong but by the looks of it, Telus offers everything Smartt does and more for less money:

Telus:

25/5 unlimited bandwidth
2 statics
4G failover
$85.95 + $9.95(statics) = $95.90 * 1.12 = $107.41

Smartt

25/5 unlimited bandwidth
1 static
$99.99 *1.12 = $111.99

$4.58 a month in difference for 1 fewer static IP and having to go through Telus for everything anywayā€¦ I donā€™t like Telus as much as the next guy but I fail to see any valuable reason to go with Smartt over Telus.

Anyone enlighten me? Am I missing something?

@SteveRoy is there any extras we get with Smartt that werenā€™t posted here? Iā€™m going off of what is on the Telus site versus only what you posted above about Smartt.

How will recording this information be helpful? Is there somewhere we can submit it to that would get telus in trouble? is it worth the effort to report telus?

I hate telus and shaw as much as the next guyā€¦

I donā€™t think it would be. This would be a dispute between the wholesaler (Smartt) and TELUS, and they are easily able to keep their own records across their entire customer base and present them to the CRTC or whoever.

As a company that deals with TELUS wholesale DSL on a daily basis, they havenā€™t been bad to us and usually make their appointments, so I doubt this is endemic.

Also to clear up a common misconception, TELUS wholesalers (such as Smartt) are not reselling the TELUS retail service. They will have a dedicated interconnect to the TELUS network and operate their own LNS and have their own transit connections to the Internet. Aside from being constrained to what PPPoE is capable of, you can deliver whatever service(s) you want over it.

So there are two advantages to using a wholesaler:

• Not everything goes through TELUS, only the last-ten-miles between the DSLAM and providerā€™s NOC does. I havenā€™t seen any major issues with the TELUS internet transit network personally, but Iā€™m not a big fan of their mix of upstream networks.
  • TELUS only receives the CRTC-mandated tariff for the service, rather than the full retail amount. For 25mbit business service I believe this is ~$40 + a dry loop fee of < $10.

That said, as a ā€œcustomerā€ of the service, I donā€™t see any reason to prefer Smartt here. Weā€™re not getting a smoking deal on it and the TELUS service includes both LTE failover and an additional static IP for a couple bucks less.

But the problem was do-ocractically solved, so I believe itā€™s moot at this point :smile:.

2 Likes

Given that we havenā€™t actually received Smarttā€™s service is it too late to cancel and just get Telus to hook up theirs on Friday?

@laftho as noted this is a do-ocracy so if you think we should go with Telus let me know ASAP and you can take over from me. Youā€™ll need to open up Cook St tomorrow morning 8am and wait for the Telus guy to show up (scheduled sometime during business hours, i.e. between 8am and 5pm someone should show up).

In my opinion Telus doesnā€™t deserve our money because:
From my past experience they have very poor technical support and it takes too long to reach someone with real knowledge.
They outsource jobs to overseas rather than employ local people.
Iā€™ve had their staff lie to me on more that one occasion and I hate being lied to.

Steve

2 Likes

@SteveRoy Iā€™m simply trying to get the clear picture of our choice over another. I think the popular opinion is that weā€™d rather spend more for better customer service; that sounds fine to me. Iā€™m certainly not trying to step on your toes on this, I just had started to notice a discrepancy in value from our few options and was seeking clarification. Thank you

We have Internet!

6 Likes

Woo hoo!

Thank you for taking the time to organize this, Steve!

Yay!