I am more old school then you are!

In case anyone is curious, and if my memory serves, Internet Direct did something of a hostile takeover (though I never got full details of what went down) of Uniserve Online around 2001/2002. At the time I worked for Uniserve and we were told that Direct was being acquired (as we had acquired many other local ISPs). A months or two later, most of the staff in Aldergrove were laid off and operations moved to Victoria. A few years later Uniserve ended up back in the GVRD; not sure what happened there.

To join the party, the first computer I had regular access to was an Apple ][, fitted with a MIDI card and attached to a synthesizer my dad used as a gigging musician. Learned a bit of BASIC and played with the sequencer. Iā€™m not sure of the exact model, but if memory serves it used cassettes for data storage.

We then ā€œupgradedā€ to a Commodore 8086-based PC with 640K RAM and dual 720KB 5-1/4" floppy drives. CGA graphics. Mostly played digger on it (in monochrome amber):

After a few minor upgrades (hard disk, mostly), that was our only PC for many years, until the release of the Pentium, when we got a Pentium 60Mhz (an early one with the divide bugā€¦) and 14.4K modem. My mom was unable to use the phone for quite a few years, until Rogers@HOME came aroundā€¦

2 Likes

I helped implement ADSL at the ISP I worked for.

I was also responsible for destroy^Wmanaging the frame relay network.

First used an original British Sinclair? while over in the UK in the very early 80ā€™s as a child.
My great uncle showed it to us, we played Golf IIRC. :wink:

A few years late another uncle built us an Apple ][+ clone for christmas. No fancy floppy diskette drive, only audio tape, fast hands, and lots of patience (Night Mission Pinball, a 5-minute load if it worked the first time, was the longest regular load I can remember). It didnā€™t even have a case. In the beginning it was a bare motherboard on the TV table with a keyboard an a tape player and power supply. My Dad built the case the first summer (yes I still have it in storage, and yes it still worked last I checked.). That got upgraded over the years with floppy drives, printers and a 300 baud modem. IN#2 IIRC.
BBSed around the few local-to-call BBSes in the small town I grew up in, even called Belleville (Long Distance, OMG!), probably enough to get in trouble but not enough trouble to remember.

We went to a 386 next, which IIRC I took with me when I moved out at 18, but it may have been a 486. I remember not being able to afford a Pentium for Ages!

Are people down for an old school show-off/fix up/tinkering night for computers, gadgets, tools, etc? If so I will organize. Stuff must be made before 1990. :smile:

Yes - would love to do this - are slide rules allowed? If not Iā€™ll bring my HP-35.

Of course! I love slide rules. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d be up for this. I have an original UK BBC Micro from 1982 thatā€™s been sitting on my desk for 2 years. I got it workingā€¦ and then it died when I tried to install the sideways RAM board :frowning:

I have the service manual too.

Ian

(Sent from a mobile device. I apologize for the brevity.)

1 Like

I have my Amiga 1000 under my bed. It might not like the light of day
anymore though. Not the first computer I ever used. But the first one I
ever bought for myself.

1 Like

Did the showdown happened?

I must have missed thisšŸ˜”

maybe we are both so old we forgot we did attend?!?!

LOL. We had it but not many people showed up.

it was past everyoneā€™s bedtimeā€¦

1 Like

Bedtime?, nay, I must have been doing the dishes and dozed offā€¦