How I got stitches being a dumb ass

http://instagram.com/p/Bq_ClBoHwle/

3 Likes

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing, it is mighty strong of you to share your mistakes for everyone’s benefit.

Just a quick suggestion on the new method, since you have straight lines to cut, a simple hack saw might do quick work, and do a really good job making a straight line. Then you just have to cut off the ends.

I hope you make a full recovery, and I hope you don’t lose too much feeling.

2 Likes

Hey Dan,

I got a chance to watch your video with sound (couldn’t last night).

I know you are joking about Safety 3rd, but it is a serious movement. I assume you already know about the tenants of the movement, but for those people who have seen your video and don’t know what Safety 3rd is, it applies especially well to VHS.

TLDR:
If safety were first, we wouldn’t do anything with risk. Safety 3rd reminds you that no process, institution, or device can keep you safe, and that your own safety is your own responsibilit. Nobody else cares more about your safety, than you.

4 Likes

As previously mentioned, hacksaw. While your abrasive disk on the Dremel will cut- I mean melt its way through the plastic, there’s a good chance it will bind.

Power tools and even the magic of a CNC machine are not always the best solution.

That said… If you’re hell bent on using the router. Use a router table with a fence, and set a stop. Still a very sketchy idea.

my next plan is the bandsaw. more precise than the hack saw. a few slits inside the cut zone to make relief cuts, then a file on the ends to clean up the rest. similar to how a mortis joint is made in wood.

Whoah! Before you put that in a bandsaw, make sure you have it secured so it can’t rock or you’ll end up in a worse situation than you are now.

1 Like

Dan, before you engage with a bandsaw: I recommend this (or better yet, in-person training)

3 Likes

I’m just going to leave this right here…

2 Likes

yeah, i have a jig designed to hold it flat so it can’t twist.

2 Likes

Bandsaw is just a bad idea.
Use the tablesaw with the miter gauge. Don’t use the fence at the same time, as that may result in the workpiece binding. Set the blade height to your slot depth.

Bill

I’ve safely cut lots of PVC pipe in various diameters on a bandsaw. You just have to make sure you use a v-block to prevent the pipe from rotating during the cut. If I was going to use a tablesaw, I would probably use a crosscut sled instead of a mitre gauge but each to their own.

1 Like

Right, yes. Somehow I ran with the image of the slot being cut in wood.

Ouch, I was once using a router table to make 3/4" dowel from square stock. First piece grabbed and javelined across the shop 20’ before wedging itself into an off-cut bin so hard it took two of us to wiggle it out. Feather boards were my friend after that.

Do you have access to a mill and rotary table? Would make quick work of those slots.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.