Hexbug-mounted Web-controlled Webcam

Hi,

I’m working on mounting a webcam on top of a hexbug spider, hooking it’s IR controller to a Teensy and have it controlled via a simple web interface. That way a person can move the camera around on a table for videoconferencing.

I’ll start today at the openhouse, stop by if you want to chat about it / help out / look at it.

Cheers,

Pablo/DrDub

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool, have any pictures?

Me too sorry I couldn’t make it!

I had forgotten how bad I was at soldering. My initial plan was use the remote control and plug it to a Teensy++ 1.0 board I had lying around. Then I destroyed the remote control while trying to add some external wires to it. Ups.

Luckily I found this: GitHub - xiam/arduino_hexbug_spider: Control your Hexbug Spider with Arduino.

But I couldn’t make it work with the Teensy++ 1.0, I suspect the power put out by the board is not enough.

Now at home I got it working with an Arduino Duemilanove.

I’ll continue next Tuesday, I’ll bring it to VHS.

I’m thinking about adding some facial detection so the spider can track faces. That’d be fun.

cool project

cool! I work remotely so I’m constantly on video conference calls and hate them. I’d be interested in joining you and making one for myself and maybe get some voice recognition in there too. Let me know when you’ll be there on Tuesday.

Hugh

Very nice! I should be there by 07:30.

See you soon,

P

Can’t make it today, but last week we got it working with Hugh.

I’ll try to post a video and code today.

P

Here’s the code: GitHub - DrDub/hesacam: Hexbug Spider Arduino Camera
And a video I recorded at home: https://youtu.be/q4UUQbOghtY

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.