Help wanted, cake as payment

Hi, I am new to this community and probably about to become a member. To introduce myself a bit, I’m a university student studying geography and GIS and I am looking to get into Woodworking. My hobbies include rugby, cooking, DND, sci-fi and fantasy. I found VHS when looking for a makerspace and I loved the energy of your community and the whole ethos you’ve got going on. Here’s the thing, I have never stepped foot in a wood shop and I have no experience operating any power tools beyond my roommates drill. I am honestly terrified of cutting my fingers right off (I still need em) but I really want to use a table saw. Some of the community recommended I nag some people here to run a workshop. So, will someone introduce me to the woodshop, the space, the etiquette and run through the operation of a table saw with me. What I lack in woodshop skills I make up for in the kitchen. While my “better-than-sex” chocolate cake may not be actually as good as the name suggests, its still pretty great. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I’m a little better with the welding shop than the wood shop, but I can give you some of the basics on shop safety if you come by the space on Saturday. (we’re having a work party to put in the compressed air lines in the space, from 1 pm to probably around 5, which you’re welcome to jump in on if you’d like.)

Somebody who knows the table saw better than I do should probably give that lesson though; I can just do the safety basics on it, and there’s a lot more to know for ideal operation.

2 Likes

thanks for the reply! I cant come Saturday unfortunately I guess i should have mentioned I’m looking to start next week (the week of Monday October 26th). I think safety basics are really what I’m after this time round.

2 Likes

Hey Ben

I am normally around a fair bit and can give you some shop tips. People at the hackspace are super friendly and you really could ask anyone around that shop how to use certain tool. That is how I learned everything. But if you find me, I would be happy to show you around.

3 Likes

Hi Ben, welcome to the community!

I was just talking with @yeungx yesterday about offer a woodshop training but that is going to happen next month or so. In the meantime I can definitely give you some tips on how to use the table saw. Let me know when you’re planning to visit the shop and we can work something out.

Cheers,
Leonardo Collares

2 Likes

And if you ever have any questions about GIS, I am also quite fond of cake :wink:

Cheers,
Tyson

3 Likes

@leocollares Wow! That sounds great. I hoping to be around next week really any day works but I’m so excited I want to come as early as possible.

@ninetynein I think I’m in love with this community if I can exchange baked goods for services I’m a happy man. I probably will take you up on that at some point for my big project this year.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.