Group project: outdoor mural makelangelo (Gigantelangelo?)

I have the software and some of the hardware ready to attempt this. It would require a special spray can holder that would do the logo in a pointillism style, and probably other fun hardware challenges to solve.

Of course we would get permission from the building owner, first. There’s a high chance of an OK in writing given that the building won’t be around for long. Roof top access is easy and we will adhere to OSHA guidelines.

I’m looking for people that would be interested in helping. We’d need

• building owner approval (I have no contact atm)
  • VHS BOD approval?
  • safety team lead
  • clamps to hold motors in place
  • spray system
  • counterweights for spray system
  • a calibration system that would work on a wall that big (i have some ideas already)

I’m willing to foot the bill for consumables if you’re willing to help make it happen.

3 Likes

Projector, can of black paint, a brush and a ladder on one dark winter evening …

There are many ways to skin a cat. If you’d like to do it that way, go ahead.

I’m not giving you permission, that’s the building owner’s responsibility :wink:

I think the landlord would be much more* likely to approve this idea if we used a temporary paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-5894-Marking-Chalk-White/dp/B000PJ67M6

* my estimation of the odds of approval go from 0% to 12% :wink:

What about offering to do something as part of mural fest?

2 Likes

Absolutely! I want to do a small scale test first. I guess I’m not very
good at explaining all my reasons for my choices.

This is a neat idea. Seem to remember seeing a few other iterations of this in the past. One recent one I came across is SprayPrinter. Different operating principle, but likely a source of inspiration for the spray can actuator.

http://sprayprinter.com/static/html/about_sp.html

1 Like

I really like this mural idea too. Taking inspiration from the dot matrix printers of the ancients, I would propose a painting system that loosely mimics a DMP print head. This would involve a paint soaked cloth belt circulating around a motorized top roller, and a passive bottom roller immersed in a paint tray. Between the two rollers, would be CPU triggered solenoids, each fitted with smooth plastic fingers. The fingers would ‘tap’ the belt from behind, leaving dots of paint on the wall. Would expect this approach to paint faster and more cost effectively than using spray cans. Of course, if this project is a one time deal, spray cans will be easier to implement.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.