Grand re-re-re-re-Opening and SHHH - Feb 21st from 12:00 Noon till late

What
VHS has moved into its new home on 1715 Cook street, and is mostly unpacked. Its time for an open house and party to show off the new space to everyone.

Open House (Noon - 5pm)
Never been to a hack space before? Dying to see VHS’ new space? This is the perfect time to visit! VHS members will give you a tour around the space, show off some cool projects, and answer any questions you have.

Many of our members share an interest in 3D printers, laser cutting, machining, crafting, electronics, robotics, programming, electronic music, and art. We welcome enthusiastic amateurs, or anyone with something interesting to share!

A BBQ will available on VHS’ roof patio, so you can bring your own grillables.

Super Happy Hacker House (7:30pm - Late)
Super Happy Hacker House (SHHH) is a social night where members, friends and guests gather for a social night of conversation, adult beverages, lightning talks, and super happy hacker games.

Show and Tell (All day)
Have you made something amazing? Are you in the process of building something that will become amazing? Are you just starting out and want to talk to people about your amazing idea? Come down to VHS and tell us about it. Bring your projects!

Lightning talks – (11PM). A lightning talk is VHS’ version of an un-conference, where people do short presentation on any subject that they want. Unlike other presentations at conferences, lightning talks last only a few minutes (2 min or less) and friendly heckling is encouraged. Challenge coins will given out to the people doing talks.

A video of some previous lightning talks

Our sponsor has donated beer for the event, which will be available after 7:30pm.

Remember to BRING YOUR OWN CUP if you want to drink beverages at the space.

Read a great Georgia Straight article about one of our previous open houses/SHHH!

Where
1715 Cook Street, Buzzer #104
Vancouver, BC

Limited street parking is available just outside the space. Bikes can be parked in our loading bay for the night or locked up on the bike racks outside the front door.

This map shows all the parking and amenities around the new space.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=zQTF2pOfG2Fs.kqmUJ7LBwVZo

When
Feb 21st (Saturday) from 12:00 Noon till late (2-3 am)

Who
Everyone! Hackers, Makers, Crafters, Kids, Guests, Members, Friends of VHS, Anyone and Everyone.

If you are under the age of majority (19) then you should bring your parent or guardian with you as well. For those of legal drinking age (19), VHS will have donated beer for the adult-only event that will be available after 7:30pm.

Why
Because it is awesome!

6 Likes

We are looking for someone to do the challenge coins.
We are looking for someone/company to donate the beer
We are looking for people to help clean up the next day
We are looking for people to watch the beer so no minors get a hold of it

We are borrowing the space NEXT to VHS #105 so we have lots of space for hacker games. 2x the size of VHS for even more people.

@funvill will be running point on this event, But i would love as much help as anyone is willing to give.

3 Likes

I could do coins, friends could laser cut from steel, and I could cnc
engrave them on my mill. Alternatively the could be brass.

8 Likes

Damn I would volunteer but i will be in Havana that day… I thought the
SHHH was going to be next Saturday Jan 31?

Why not both?

We will have donated beer available after 7:30pm.
or
There will be donated beer available after 7:30pm.
or
We have been donated beer for the event that will be available after 7:30pm.
or or or

Just an idea, it would be neat to make a LED-matrix cake similar to this one. In the link is any earlier project that used angel food cake as the diffusing media. I think this would taste much nicer than jello. I can supply cake if enough notice is given.

1 Like

Works for me, we need about 15-20.

It never got set up. This is the earliest >I< personally could do it.

Fixed, Thanks.

Sounds awesome,

I will supply a full tank of propane, and will be barbecuing on the roof,
rain or shine.

3 Likes

Should we bring our own items to put on the BBQ?

We can BBQ on the roof??? That is awesome.

2 Likes

Yes!

I will bring a pack of smokies, which will be more than I can eat, but
probably enough for 4ish people. More food is better! Usually everything
that gets brought gets finished.

Also if it does rain, a large patio umbrella might be appropriate for
someone to bring.

@Big_Mak, @funvill I’d like to suggest a more permanent approach to challenge coin manufacturing.

These guys mint coins on the fly using dies and a drop hammer:

This way you would only have to machine the dies once, then use a soft metal and build a drop hammer.

Here are guys making these commercially.

Here’s a thread on people talking about the process.

I would LOVE to help build something like this. It could be mounted against a column in the space, and be moved to Maker Faire to mint souvenir coins. We could even get into electroplating them.

2 Likes

I think the whole point is that they are different every time.

2 Likes

Sweet!

I was hoping to keep the challenge coins changing all the time, So a different member, using a different manufacturing technique or material.

I would love to see a metal stamped coin, That would be awesome!
We do have access to a 60 ton press, and we have a 6 ton press at the space right now. We also have a CNC mill and a mill to design the stamp. We got so many options!

@wander whether doing coins for VHS or not I’m interested getting into that as well! Let me know if you’d like to collaborate, maybe start a coin smithing thread and/or wiki page :smile:

/resume SHHH talk

1 Like

Talk: Grand re-re-re-re-Opening and SHHH - Feb 21st from 12:00 Noon till late

Facebook: Grand Opening and SHHH - Feb 21st from 12:00 Noon till late

Google+: Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

Blog: https://vanhack.ca/wp/2015/01/28/grand-opening-and-shhh-feb-21st-from-1200-noon-till-late/

I haven’t had a lot of interest in a how-to-solder night from forum members, wondering if we’d get more traction soldering VHS badges at the open house. Thoughts?

1 Like

Totally! If the timing is more towards the noon side. SHHH projects seem to stall in the evening.

Wonder why.

3 Likes

FYI. Contacted Bernard (our landloard) to ask about borrowing or renting the #105 space.

1 Like