Events we want!

Hi Everyone!

There’s been a few calls for people to host events, but we haven’t gotten a lot of turnout (or really, we could do better). We have some excellently talented, passionate, and/or excited people in our membership that may not know that they are qualified to teach something.

I’m going to approach this thread with a different perspective. Post a couple events that you want to attend so that people can see what you want to go to. We understand time commitments, so assume these are ‘if your schedule aligned’; posting wants here is not a commitment. Also feel free to post things were the space is 90% there but we need “One more thing™” to make it possible. This could feed equipment/future space ideas.

While reading this thread, if you see an event you think you’d be interested in either hosting or helping with, post in a separate thread and state your intent (that you want to host, help, bottomline, etc), and we can figure out the rest of the details.

Things I would attend (some I will offer to teach as well once I am healthy enough):

1. Woodworking Joinery (ie mortise and tenon, hand-cut dovetails, etc)
  2. Airbrushing (Flame tutorial would be cool!)
  3. Woodturning a round box
  4. How to create molds for casting (from rough 3d-print to mold, how to make foodsafe molds for candymaking, etc)
  5. Software Defined Radio: Interpreting your first radiowave
  6. Mixing it up: how to mix music like a DJ and have everyone like you
6 Likes

It’s been a long time since I did it but hand cut dovetails are not as hard as they seem. Also a lot of cool joints can be made on the tablesaw such as; open bridal joints, lap joints, and even dovetails! My favorite is the finger joint, and if you don’t have a fancy Matthius Wandel designed finger joint jig then it can be easily done with a board and a small spacer peg. I was thinking of doing some wood working CNC courses once the new CNC is completed, and can also work a few joinery workshops in for folks as well.

2 Likes

Working with leather!
I know that there are people who has experience working with leather too

3 Likes

I am also interested in mold making for candy!

I do the occasional leatherwork project, have been wanting to make some boots for a long time. I would love to attend a leather working session. Hand stitched leather is fun to do, until you poke yourself…

2 Likes

I’m interested in:

• wood carving (especially functional objects like spoons)
  • leather working (again functional stuff - wallets, belts, lasercut leather etc.)
  • casting
  • working with any kind of clay/fimo/etc…sculpture
  • how to use a serger
  • anything brewing related (although we don’t have a sink so that probably not work at the space)
  • how to use an oscilloscope
  • shoe making!
  • simple sheet metal work (e.g. how to make cookie cutters)

Workshops were I can make a project in a single workshop (or in a series of workshops) would be so great. I like having a finished thing at the end of the workshop.

I would like to know more about designing metal parts to be folded on a press brake. tolerances and margins and best practices.

For the mold making,what about aluminum milled masters and poured negatives? There’s a few members with this know how already.

and

I’ve been wanting to run a sheet metal workshop for a long time, as it’s both really easy once you know the basics, and useful. A bit noisy though… :slight_smile: The main things we’re missing in order to be able to do it is a box & pan brake. I looked into it a while ago, and there are some relatively cheap and compact (but still useful) options available.

I’m interested in:

• Jewelry making/silversmithing techniques (wax carving, mold cutting, intricate metalworking, brazing, etc)
  • Casting of any kind!

and

and

and

It sounds like lots of us want to do more molding/casting workshops! @Gibbtall has run some great workshops, including on finishing a rough 3D print, creating silicone mold, and finally resin casting a duplicate. For food-safe applications it’s really just a matter of choosing a food-safe silicone and making sure that it’s well-cleaned afaik (no resin to worry about; candy is your resin!).

1 Like

Oh jeez

2 Likes

eh, i was misquoted. I have done the molding course. I was suggesting a method that might be easier than 3D printing + smoothing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPLzei3jfAa/?taken-by=imakerobots
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPV-imgjqL4/?taken-by=imakerobots
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP0qfp9DIrH/?taken-by=imakerobots

I’m doing casting with SLA 3D prints right now - both much (much much) easier to finish than FDM prints, and amazing resolution. CNC milling is the opposite of easier, as amazing as it is.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.