Commission: Arduino Project with Neopixels and MIDI

Hey folks, I have a friend looking to commission a project.

This is his youtube channel where you can see what he has in mind. In the videos right now he has a static LED strip. He would like is for the lights to only show which keys are currently pressed.

In a nutshell, what he wants is a neopixel strip that he can attach to his MIDI keyboard and an arduino controller. When he presses a key, the light above that key lights up. I think it’s pretty straightforward for someone willing to juggle an additional chainsaw. Optional features might include the ability to change the color between songs, either via dials or one of those color-picker remote controls

If you are interested in taking on the project, let me know and I’ll get the two of you in touch to discuss details.

2 Likes

Holy crap that is so awesome!!!

Is the synthesia just a recap of what your friend has played, or is it programmed ahead of time (I’ve used that program to learn a few songs)?

That sounds like a really awesome project. I imagine someone could do it fairly easily with a partycat. A few things to reduce the barrier to entry here. Does it need to be a MIDI connection; or could it listen to the USB midi over wifi? If so, then a party cat and an LED strip + power supply would be all you’d need hardware wise.

For details I’d have to put you in touch with him. I think he is using Synthesis similar to a Guitar Hero kind of thing where he is reacting to it, but now that you ask it occurs to me that I may have assumed that. My thought for the project was an arduino processing the MIDI input, pull the Pitch from the midi packet, convert that to a key, and light the appropriate LED in a preset color. Perhaps grab the Velocity and map that to a brightness. But there are surely other ways; partycat didn’t occur to me.

Yeah; I only mentioned skipping the hardware MIDI output to save on hardware costs, since a partycat already has network access, and he’s clearly going to a machine, it might be able to do this with less hardware.

Just trying to think of ways to reduce the scope so someone (unfortunately not me) can pick it up and run with it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.