[Call for Volunteers: SHHH36] Challenge Coins

Continuing the discussion from SHHH: Super Happy Hacker House 36!:

Want to earn a shiny Challenge Coin Minter badge? Volunteer for the next SHHH and it could be yours!

You can have anyone help you make them, but most importantly, you’ll need a design/idea.

1 Like

I have always wanted to make the challenge coins! Can I please make the challenge coins?

3 Likes

Sure! Sorry, I should’ve been clearer on this, you’ll need to come up with a design and they can basically be made out of any material.

From laser cut wood/acrylic to knitted, all is good!

Here are the original coins design

Suggested design requirements. Feel free to ignore every one of them. These design requirements are what other people followed for the other coins. Please don’t feel restricted by this list.

• 2 inches in diameters
  • should have “VHS” or “Vancouver Hackspace” in text somewhere on the coin.
  • Should have what super happy hacker house this was given out at “SHHH XXXVI”, SHHH36, etc…
  • Quantity of 15-20
  • It should be corporeal, physical, something people can touch. (Should not be feelings)
  • Can me made out of whatever material the designer decides.
  • It can be any shape the designer wants, you are not limited to “coin” shape.

Here are some examples of the past challenge coins

I have an idea for next shhh coins. Dibs

Is there a photo album or something of all the previous coins?

It’d be cool to see what’s been done before (and also ensure we don’t make something similar)

Not really other than what’s in here:

1 Like

Here’s the challenge coins I made. The idea was to make each one unique, so I did a logo on the front, and a maze on the back. I originally wanted to put in an orange acrylic star in the middle of each one, but I think I just cut it out in the end. To cut them, I turned off the maze layer, cut out of 1/4" ply, then turned off all layers except the maze layer, CAREFULLY removed all the coins without moving the main piece, flipped the coins and put them back. Orientation didn’t matter since the maze is non-directional. I didn’t account for the kerf though, and some of the mazes were 0.5-1 mm off centre.

4 Likes

@Jade and @Gonazar: considering SHHH is Saturday, either of you have an idea?

Consider this the last call. The first person to commit gets to make them!

Totally forgot about it so I threw this together.

It’s a 3D printed Gyro coin (2" diameter by 1/4" thick).

I just quickly threw this together so I have no idea whether it’s actually printable. It looks fine in Cura, but the only problem is the inset around the lettering causes support material to generate. That might give it a rough finish on that one side, especially since I haven’t perfected non-residual support material on my printer.

Perhaps someone can give me a hand actually fabricating it? I can give it a couple test prints tomorrow, but I know on my current settings the bottom side is gonna look rough.

This is what support material looks like

I suspect areas that aren’t supported will likely droop too.
Kinda wishing I was using Simplify3D

and the pins

Another problem is that unless I do a filament swap midway, this will be a mono-color print… and I only have yellow and translucent filament available.

I think I can get the print time down to 45 minutes per coin using 0.25 layer height so it’s within reason to be able to make 20 before Saturday… I think. I just can’t promise it will look that great.

@ashley Have any suggestions on how to improve the appearance?