Big 3D Printer

Hi guys, I just joined VHS, and it got me thinking that I have a broken 3D printer lying around that someone would probably be willing to fix and use. Maybe it could become a part of VHS? I have no idea what I want to do with it long term, but it’s got a huge build volume (30cm diameter base and 40cm height) and dual extruder, so I’m sure someone will want to fix/use. It should be a pretty simple fix - an extruder is clogged and a thermocouple broke off and has to be replaced. It was working fine before those were broken.
Let me know if you’d like to work on it!
The model is a Boots Industries V2.5
Picture:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjo0JeNworXAhWBNSYKHZrUA8UQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fphys.org%2Fnews%2F2013-12-boots-industries-unveils-bi-v20.html&psig=AOvVaw1b0Lr_8DQ5MjfXRMNFS4mj&ust=1508977501203054

2 Likes

First, let me welcome you to VHS!

That looks awesome! I suspect someone at VHS will be interested in taking a look (though I’m full-up on projects myself right now).

Have you come down to the hackspace yet? Tuesday nights are quite active, that might be a good night to bring it down. I’ll let some more of the 3d-printer interested folk answer the more specifics of this; I just mostly wanted to welcome you.

-Mike

Haha thanks!
Yeah I came to an open night a couple of months ago so it’s a bit overdue.

Also for any 3D printer guru here: is there somewhere where PLA can be reshaped into new filament? I’ve seen a machine that can do that on the internet a couple of times (a UBC engphys project did that a while ago) - is there anyone that has access to one? Because I have like 5kg of scrap filament ready to be recycled.

Paging @SteveRoy and @KevMacD

And @iMakeRobots

I’d be happy to take a look at the printer and see if it’s something we can use at VHS.
I’ve never worked on a delta style before but have wanted to.

Steve

Okay great! I’ll PM you.

Hi @tothemoon1,

Thank you, we would love to hack the printer for holding custom print heads (pottery clay, etc., on my forever to do list), etc.

Best,
RK

@Rebel_without_Clause if you want to prototype that, i believe that there is a smaller delta on the shelf above the 3d printer that was donated for hacking.

i believe that @Daniel_DeGagne once started a project for this, but that it has since been abandoned.

There is a commercial unit available called the filastruder.

My project was never ‘technically’ abandoned. Prototype works.
What I need is a grinder that turns pieces into small enough scrap to be put into the extruder. Not sure if Filastruder has one of those yet

There are some hand crank grinders around.

Could coffee grinders work?

I believe that it was not meant to be hacked, i.e. it is a working model.

No coffee grinder won’t work. You need to get to the plastic down to the size of a coffee bean. Bean grinder would turn stuff into powder. And probably burn the plastic.
Also motor isn’t strong enough most likely first thing to burn out.

I grabbed a large paper shredder that was in 3 week bin many months ago. Motor is big enough but the grinders are too small and run too fast to break plastic.

Hi Dan,
Try the portable battery powered paper shredders, their paper feed rate is slower.
The fast ones are good for chopping lettuce and other leafy veggies :slight_smile:
-RK

Okay great! I’ll PM to sort stuff out

Believe me the battery ones won’t work either. As it is the shredders are geared down to about 60 rpm or less. But that’s still not enough torgue. Remember it only takes a few layers to make a piece strong enough to be stood on. No way that’s going through anything less then an industrial strength shredder. You can see the force needed. Just take a scrap piece that’s only a couple layers thick and try to cut it wire metal snips.