[Canceled] Beer advent calendar - VHS Style [Event]

What:
Last year a few us did a Beer advent calendar at VHS. It was awesome! This year we have worked out a few bugs and I think its ready for the entire membership. Anyone that wants to joins us can.

Facebook: Canceled] Beer advent calendar - VHS Style
Google +: Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents
Blog post: Beer advent calendar - VHS Style - Nov 30 7:30pm - Vancouver Hack Space

When:
Nov 29, 7:30pm Sunday

Who:
People that are over 18th and like beer.
Non-VHSers or Ex-VHSers can joins us, but you should be at least a friend of the space or a friend of someone there.

How:
Instructions:

• Step 1: Announce that you want to participate by replying to this thread with “I want to participate”
  • Step 2: Purchase ~25 premium craft or specialty beers. Expect to pay between $6 and $7 per beer. ~$160 + tax. See below for more instructions. Don’t drink these beers yet!
  • Step 3: Show up at VHS on Nov 30 (Sunday) 2pm with all your beers + $10 for materials (tube, cardboard, wrapping paper)
  • Step 4: Place everyones beers on the table, Take a picture ! Instagram that shit!
  • Step 5: Each person goes up and picks two beers to be added to their Beer advent calendar. Repeat until everyone has 25 beers.
  • Step 6: Make Advent calendar (See below)

Total is should cost around ~$170 depending on what beers you buy.

What kind of beers should I buy?

You should buy beer that fits in a packing tubes with approximately 3 inches diameter and 10 inches tall. Average beer can is typically 4.5" high x 2.4" diameter. Average beer bottle is 9.039 inches tall x 2.4" diameter. Either way it should fit in the packing tube.

• You should buy strange and exotic beers that most people have not tried before.
  • You should buy premium craft beer. No crab juice, or mountain dew !
  • You should buy good beer, No crab juice, or mountain dew !!
  • You should buy beer that is alcoholic, No crab juice, or mountain dew !!!
  • You should buy beer that you would like to try yourself.
  • Bottles or cans are okay as long as they fit in the tube.

You should not buy

• No crab juice, or mountain dew !!!
  • No Canadian or Molsan, Budweisers, Bud light, Coors light, Blue, Keiths, Heineken, Corona, Stella Artois, Dos Equis, Sam Adams
  • No Guinness, I am sorry, its a good beer but its not exotic,
  • No snakes in a can. it been done, its not funny because after you are done laughing, you realise that you don’t have a beer today.

How to make a Beer advent calendar

FAQ

[Q] What is the extra $10 for ?
[A] The packing tube, the cardboard box that the tubes get put in to, the wrapping paper. If you have a suggestion on where to get it cheaper I would love to know about it.

[Q] I spent more on my beers then he did, but he got more beers than I did, its not fair!
[A] We are adults, you should be able to figure this out. Don’t spend more than ~$7 on a beer.

[Q] This is expensive!
[A] Thats not a question, but if its too expensive then you probably shouldn’t be participating

[Q] Its cheaper if I buy it from the store myself
[A] Then do that.

[Q] I don’t like beer can we do this with XXXXX instead?
[A] Not instead, but yes. I would love to see other advent XXXX as well. If you do a whisky one I would be in for that too. A devboard advent calendar ?

[Q] What do you have against crab juice?
[A] ItemFix - Social Video Factory

[Q] Why are you running this on a sunday?
[A] Last day before december !

1 Like

This one by Parallel 49 is only $80 (Less than half of what VHS version is)

I am sure there are other delicious ones out there.
Feel free to post them.

1 Like

That one from Parrallel 49 is also smaller bottles. Unless you’re planning on the 355ml bottles too.

Is it bad to bring the 750ml bottles?

I saw an international beer advent calendar, it was around 150. So any way we do it, it’s gonna be expensive.
Most people who like beer, they don’t look at the cost of the bottle if they want to try it.

“I want to participate”

I was going to suggest that we standardize at the bomber bottle size, but then I remembered about all those wonderful trippels that come in weird small bottles (and double digit alcohol).

Canceled for lack of interest