2 Roombas (700 series) have suffered injuries!

I have 2 Roombas in poor health. Their distant blinking “help-me” lights are pathetic.
One signals that it has a wheel error. I replaced the wheel but it still signals the error. It charges well and runs for 15 seconds before the aforementioned wheel error shuts it down.
The second Roomba charges, but the control panel does not completely light up and it does not want to begin a cleaning cycle.
Any ideas out there? Those lights are making me feel guilty. Thanks…Chris

2 Likes

Hey Chris,
Can you give more details?

Roomba 1: What number error are you getting for the wheel?
Is it Error 10: “Spin Roomba’s side wheels to clean.? If so - something might be wrong with the wheel sensor.

Roomba 2: Does the green “clean” light come on? If so, have you tried a reset?
(Press and hold CLEAN until the display says rSt (about 10 )seconds).

Also there are a few other Roomba people on here - maybe they’ll weigh in. :slight_smile:

Hi Janet,

Roomba # 1 intones: Error 5 - Remove and clean right wheel. I have removed and cleaned that wheel and when that did not work, replaced the right wheel.

Roomba # 2 sits like a lump . The “Clean” light does not come on. A small triangle beneath the “Clean” button lights up with an accusatory exclamation mark. A few dim bluish lights show on the panel just above the “Clean” button.

Thanks! Chris S.

2 Likes

Okay - #1 - Does the brush have anything stuck in it or is there any stubbon hair down inside the wheel - sometimes even a few strands can trip things up? #2 - I would try cleaning the dirt sensors (take out the brush, it’s the brass coloured sensor inside the brush case). Might be worth trying to clean them with a little bit of 99% alcohol.

I should also add it wouldn’t hurt to take out the battery, take off the covers and gently clean around the button areas with 99% alcohol. Wait until dry and then reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t know the the brass “thingee” was a sensor.

Patient # 1 - I checked the brush and checked inside the wheel. Those both look fine.

Rooba # 2 - I cleaned the dirt sensor inside the brush case. I could only find one.

I haven’t worked on the 700 series but if they are like to 500 & 600 series then there will be a test sequence to test all the sensors.
You could bring them by on a Tuesday open house or maybe if there is enough interest we could run another roomba fix-it night

1 Like

Hi Steve,

An open house sounds most interesting. What time does that run? Thanks…Chris

Generally 7:30PM every Tuesday, but it’s worth checking Events Calendar - Vancouver Hack Space for exceptions and other events.

I am at most Tuesday open house nights.

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.